The Hillel at the University of Mary Washington(Hillel at UMW) is seeking a campus director to be the first Hillel professional for this growing Jewish student population located in Fredericksburg, VA. This individual will be responsible for developing robust Jewish life at the University of Mary Washington in conjunction with the Jewish Student Association and University partners. The campus director will focus on expanding student initiatives including student programs, leadership development and Jewish cultural activities and holiday celebrations. The campus director is responsible for oversight and management of the new Maxine and Carl D. Silver Center to be opened this fall and will foster stakeholder relations and grow the fundraising potential of the organization. The campus director will be a solo Hillel professional.
Student Programs and Initiatives
- Build relationships with students from diverse backgrounds through meaningful conversation and by creating connections and opportunities to participate in Jewish life on campus and in the community.
- Develop one-on-one relationships with Jewish students by meeting them where they are and utilizing creative and innovative methods to engage them in Jewish life.
- Identify and mentor potential student leaders and support them in creating vibrant Jewish life.
- Oversee and support student visioning and implementation of a calendar of dynamic Jewish engagement opportunities and programming including Shabbat and holiday celebrations, community service and social justice projects, social experiences and Jewish learning opportunities.
- Foster opportunities to engage with Israel through education and experience including on campus programs, attendance at conferences and travel.
- Work in collaboration with campus partners including the James Farmer Multicultural Center and the Division of Student Affairs.
- Foster an environment of inclusivity and serve as a Jewish resource for interfaith opportunities on campus.
- Maintain database to track student participation.
Facility, Fiscal Management and Administration
- Daily management of the Maxine and Carl D. Silver Hillel Center.
- Interface with property management company and all vendors including catering and food needs.
- Provide financial oversight of the organization including budget development and financial reports.
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures for the facility and the organization.
- Oversee marketing, social media and content for Hillel website.
- Hire, train and supervise student workers.
Fundraising and Stakeholder Relations
- Identify development opportunities and create pipelines for donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Develop and strengthen strategic relationships with university administrators, faculty and staff, community stakeholders including the University Mary Washington Foundation, the Silver Foundation, regional Jewish federations, local synagogues and lay leaders.
- Manage the relationship between Hillel at UMW and Hillel International including satisfying all aspects of affiliation and grant requirements.
Education and Experience
- 5+ years professional experience in higher education, experiential education or Jewish communal work.
- Strong background, experience and passion for Judaism and Jewish life.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Advance degree preferred. Past Hillel experience is a plus.
- Proven success in building welcoming, vibrant and enriching Jewish community.
- A passion for working with young adults and a track record of inspiring and mentoring college students to explore their Jewish identity.
- A track record of strategically networking to engage others and building partnerships around a common vision.
- Managing multiple project simultaneously while maintaining quality across all areas.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, comfort taking the initiative, the ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Strong written and verbal skills, effective at communication with a variety of stakeholders including students, parents, alumni, university and community partners.
- Strong background in Jewish knowledge and traditions
About the University of Mary Washington
The University of Mary Washington is a premier, selective, coeducational, public institution located in Fredericksburg, VA just an hour away from both Washington, DC and Richmond, VA. The three colleges – arts and sciences, business, and education – serve approximately 4,400 undergraduate students from 34 states and 38 countries. The University of Mary Washington is a supportive campus community focused on rigorous academics in small, highly interactive classes while simultaneously valuing honor and integrity and producing graduates who are critical thinkers prepared to succeed. With more than 100 student clubs and organizations centered around academic themes, the arts, sports and recreation, student government, cultural diversity, and other interests, students engage civically, socially, and intellectually.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with students that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.