The Campus Police Sergeant is responsible for ensuring the safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors, enforcing the laws of the Commonwealth as well as the W&J Student Code of Conduct, responding to emergencies, and protecting campus property. The position requires the ability to work shifts as scheduled, including weekends. This position reports directly to and is under the direct supervision of the Campus Police Lieutenant.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures the safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors, responds to emergencies, and protect campus property.
- Detects violations and enforces the laws of the Commonwealth as well as the W&J StudentCode of Conduct.
- Cites, makes arrests, and files criminal complaint for violations of laws of the commonwealth.
- Testifies in court and in the student conduct process.
- Patrols campus including classrooms, residence halls, and other facilities, by car, by bicycle or by foot, as assigned.
- In the absence of the Lieutenant, acts as the shift supervisor and Officer in Charge (OIC) of Campus Police Officers, Security Officers and Dispatchers.
- Provides assistance for emergencies such as medical, bomb threats and fire; gives emergency first aid; calls appropriate agency and college personnel for assistance.
- Handles complaints of a sensitive nature.
- Conducts interviews and investigations concerning complaints, accidents, violations of law and student conduct codes or calls for assistance to record information on thefts, physical violence and other incidents; advises individuals on how to proceed.
- Writes clear and concise incident reports, and crime reports if necessary.
- Assist in security and other trainings of students, faculty, security officers and dispatchers.
- Performs the duties of a security officer when necessary to include security patrols, reporting malfunctions of fire alarm systems, fire hazards, unsecured facilities and other safety hazards.
- Must be PA Act 120 certified and complete annual updates.
- Must be PA Act 235 Certified or have the ability to obtain certification.
- Must be able to pass criminal background check.
- Must have clean driving record and be legally permitted to drive in the state of PA (a current Pennsylvania driver's license is preferred).
- Three years police experience, college or campus setting preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and self-awareness in order to control stressful and emotional situations and to detain or subdue potentially dangerous individuals; must also convey a positive, pleasant and helpful attitude as a representative of the College.
- High school graduation or the equivalent is required. Post-secondary education or training related to public safety is preferred
- Current first aid/CPR card preferred
- Must be able to make rapid and accurate decisions during emergency situations
Essential Physical and Mental Requirements
- Stand or walk constantly (for up to an entire shift) on various surfaces (tile, concrete, carpet)
- Climb stairs, ramps, or ladders occasionally during shift
- Occasionally bend/twist at waist/knees/neck to perform various duties
- Run as needed
- Constant use of eyes (correctable vision to normal level required) to observe, read, interact with public and co-workers, view security monitors; includes hand/eye coordination
- Work in various environments including adverse outdoor conditions such as cold, rain or heat;
- Constant mental alertness and attention to detail required while setting priorities and following up on assignments
- Ability to pass physical examination by a certified physician.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Job Description Status
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Washington & Jefferson College reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do not constitute or represent a contract.
Apply for this job at https://washjeff.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Please submit cover letter and resume. It is recommended that all documents be in PDF format and uploaded at one time. Review of applications will begin immediately.