ARLINGTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
REPORTS TO: DEPARTMENT:
Security Officer Security Sergeant Security
WAGE/HOUR: PAY GRADE:
Primary Purpose: The District Security Officer is responsible for assisting law enforcement and handling Security related matters at District facilities as outlined in the Texas Penal Code, Texas Education Code, Code of Criminal Procedure, District's Board Policy, Management Guidelines, Departmental Rules and Regulations, and as directed by the Security Manager/Director. The District Security Officer isresponsible for working cooperatively with the school administration, students, staff members, other District Security team members, and officers from all law enforcement agencies to maintain positive campus security and a safe and secure campusenvironment.
• Have and maintain minimum standards including but not limited to possessing a valid Texas driver's license, good driving record, clean background, good punctuality, attendance and workethic.
• Must be available and capable of working any shift, which includes nights, weekends and holidays, asassigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
• High School Diploma or GED; college hourspreferred
• Currently has, or can obtain, a TX DPS-PSB Level II License orhigher
Special Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of policies and procedures of the Arlington Independent School District (AISD), the AISD Security Department and the positionassigned.
- Excellent knowledge of standard security enforcement procedures and the regulations and laws relating to school district policy and
procedures, including building intrusion and trespassing.
- Specialized knowledge of effective security patrol techniques.
- Detail oriented with good report writing skills.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability and willingness to be a team player
- Be neat in appearance, have a pleasing personality and work well with people
- Capable of maintaining good relationships with the public, students, faculty and staff
- Capable of assisting staff and students in a courteous and efficient manner
- Experience working with students preferred
- Be self-motivated, able to work under pressure and able to take personal feelings away from the office
I 1. Discretion and confidentiality are a must due to the sensitive information in the department and are you are required to maintain these
- Knowledge of sentence structure and of wordusage
- Skilled in reading comprehension andproofreading
- Knowledge of basicmathematics
- Capable of operating a computer andprinter
- Capable of exercising good judgment, especially under potentially dangerousconditions
- Capable of effective English communicate both verbally and in writing; Bilingual is aplus
- Capable of maintaining records and to write offense reports in English that could be used by the law enforcement agencies andcourts
- Capable of performing exterior patrolling without the use of an automobile which may require crossing areas which are without sidewalks or not paved and may be poorlylit
- Sufficient mobility and dexterity to respond quickly to situations which may involve measures to detain individuals who are running away.
- Sufficient strength to restrain offenders using AISD acceptable and approvedtechniques
Reporting directly to the Security Sergeant, the District Security Officer performs the following duties, regardless of weather conditions:
- Patrol the District and provide Security services to individual facilities, students, and staff.
- Operate a District vehicle and patrol school property or an assigned area to deter criminal offenses such as fire, burglary, theft, vandalism and other unauthorizedactivities.
- Investigate offenses that occur within the District.
- Collect evidence.
- Enforce regulations for and on District school buses.
- Perform possibly physically strenuous activities required to identify, detain, and apprehend offenders, and file appropriate charges with the local police department.
- Respond to burglar and fire alarms as dispatched, investigate cause of alarm and notify the on duty Dispatcher regarding your findings.
- Investigate suspicious persons in and around schools.
- Report the misuse of buildings and property belonging to the District.
- Enforce the general laws of Texas within the District'sjurisdiction.
- Enforce all applicable sections of the Texas EducationCode.
- Assist Texas Peace Officer(s) and other Emergency Agencies.
- Assist with traffic control on AISD properties, during athletic events, school closings, school openings, or any other event/location deemed necessary to insure the safety and welfare of students and staff
- Provide crisis response to schools and facilities.
- Perform security inspections of buildings which consist of manual (foot patrol) checks of all exterior doors and windows and promptly reporting any breach in security to the AISD Security Dispatcher.
0. Maintain awareness of District activities occurring on school property after hours and perform special patrolsduringthoseevents.
- Conduct intrusion system transmission tests for each school as assigned and report the results to the AISD Security Dispatcher and on your short, “Daily Incident Report".
- Report any road and weather conditions that may affect, disrupt or require a change in the transportation schedules or routine operation of theDistrict.
- Perform routine daily security patrol car pre-check services (gas, oil, tires, etc.) to ensure a proper function and maintenance of assigned SecurityVehicle.
- Maintain accurate daily logs and reports; speak clearly over the radio.
- Provide Security services and assistance to the administration, other team members, students and staff.
- Escort students to class, administrative offices and/or OCS asrequired.
- Complete student referrals for Student Code of Conduct and campus rule violations.
- Assist other law enforcement agencies on campus when requested.
- Investigate violations of District rules and regulations when requested by District administration.
- Participate in administrative hearings concerning alleged violations.
- Provide Security services at District sponsored events, on or off campus.
- Promptly refer non-school related criminal incidents to the proper agency having jurisdiction.
- Perform building searches, locker checks, classroom checks and metal detector screenings as directed.
- Prepare, in English, complete and concise written reports on the forms provided, of incidents and problems that can be used in successful criminal prosecutions.
- Identify, locate, and report security problems or potential securityproblems.
8. Prepare a written report of each incident or relevant observation that occurs oncampus.
C. Appear in court as a witness wheneversummoned.
- Perform other security and courtesy services as directed and maintain a positive image throughout the District for students, staff and the public.
- Assist in enforcing applicable items from the student handbook as requested by the CampusAdministrator.
8. Establish a positive working relationship among students, staff and thecommunity.
- Provide Security related services at AISD functions as assigned by your Sergeant and/or the Security Manager/Director, or his/her designee.
- Be available to work overtime as assigned by your Sergeant and/or the Security Manager/Director, or his/her
- Be available for "call out" or emergency situations for AISD.
- Perform other duties as assigned by your Sergeant and/or the Security Manager/Director, or his/her designee.
- Patrol and observe activities on campuses being alert to crimes and other incidents that may occur.
- Provide surveillance of the parking lot areas and protect the vehicles and theircontents.
8. Provide surveillance of the campus in order to deter disruptive and/or criminalactivities.
- Monitor vehicles entering and leaving campus parking lots.
- Screen and assist outsiders entering the campus.
- Deter or prevent trespassing and loitering on or near the campus.
- Control and/or prevent fights and disorders when they occur whether inside or outside the building.
- Assist school staff in emergency situations, whether inside or outside the building when notified.
- Maintain high visibility on the campus and throughout AISD with varying patrol patterns.
- Perform constant patrol throughout AISD including the campuses to ensure that all areas are monitored and observed equally andcontinuously.
- Ensure that all persons found on AISD property after hours are authorized; take appropriate action to facilitate the departure of unauthorized persons; and maintain appropriate records of all such encounters.
- Enforce Campus and AISD parking and driving regulations to maximize the use of all designated parking areas.
- Check parking lots for illegally parked, abandoned or unauthorizedvehicles.
- Check student and staff vehicles for proper parking permits; ticket and tow whenauthorized.
- Keep fire zones and bus ramps clear at all times.
- Enforce all rules and regulations relative to the safe operation of a motor vehicle on campus to insure a safe environment for students and staff.
- Assist with traffic control as needed within the AISD's jurisdiction.
Patrol vehicle, golf cart, two-way radios, CCTV system, security / fire alarm monitoring computers, and common office machines.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS:
• Maintain emotional control under moderate to heavystress.
• Walking sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time with frequent stooping andbending.
• Occasionally lifts or moves items ±50pounds.
• Operate a motorvehicle.
• Irregular work shifts andhours.
The A/SD Security Department operates on the team concept. Each employee will be cross-trained to perform jobs of other staff members.
The above statements are intended to describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job, and are not intended to represent an
all responsibilities, duties and skills required.