Provides general construction maintenance to all areas of Memorial Health System as assigned. Insures that work is completed per established policies/procedures, work order specifications and appropriate codes.
- Associate’s Degree, General Construction Certification, or completion of an apprenticeship program in carpentry required. Eight years of commercial carpentry experience with four years of leadership experience would be considered in lieu of degree/certification/apprenticeship program.
- Must possess valid Illinois drivers license and must be deemed as an acceptable driver in accordance with the MHS Fleet Safety Policy (five year MVR will be required).
- Four years commercial carpentry experience required, including experience with fire doors, hardware, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of woodworking, cabinetry and general construction.
- Demonstrated ability to read, understand and apply complex building codes such as NFPA and Joint Commission.
- Demonstrated ability to apply construction theory, read/understand blueprints, and other technical specifications.
- Analytical skills necessary to estimate building costs and quantities of materials and supplies needed.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail for long periods of time.
- Have basic computer knowledge.
- Must possess routine hand tools used by a Carpenter.
- Establishes work priorities ensuring efficient organization and coordination of activities within the general construction field per building codes and specifications.
- Performs complex tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of structures, fixtures and furnishings according to blueprints, sketches and building codes.
- May perform masonry, steel studding and simple cabinet making using efficient and effective methods.
- May involve putting on of all hardware, putting up door closers, interior and exterior trim or finish; the hanging, setting, and installation of wood, metal or plastic doors, sashes, jambs, bucks, casing, molding, rails, base or mop boards, cabinets, workbenches, and bookcases.
- Interacts with patients and Medical Center personnel in a courteous, helpful, cooperative professional manner and follows Code of Conduct of Memorial Medical Center.
- Maintains appropriate dress and appearance, projecting a positive image of the Medical Center.
- Follows all safety procedures/policies and maintains effective standards of cleanliness of the Medical Center and its equipment.
- Knows thoroughly all hospital disaster codes and follows proper procedures immediately.
- Develops efficient and effective work practices that utilize time and material efficiently.
- Assists with completing division goals.
- Coordinates assigned work to meet the needs of customers, patients and visitors.
- Develops work practices that utilizes time and material efficiently.
- Makes recommendations for capital improvements.
- Completes all work orders in CMMS system accurately and within the time required.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.