Goodwill Houston is a non-profit organization that serves people who need help people who have barriers to employment - people who are looking for a new start. We are proud that we are a second chance employer. Our success comes from our Goodwill Family, the honest, passionate and innovative Team Members who assist our customers and donors, keep our locations clean and inviting, while being advocate for or mission every day.
Goodwill is a place to belong, a place to make a difference and a place that "Changes Lives Through the power of Work."
The Cashier position provides an opportunity, in a retail setting, to excel in a growing, fast paced, customer/donor focused role, working both independently and as a member of a team, to positively impact the lives of others.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate electronic cash register and credit card machines.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Greet each customer and assist with basic questions about store operations and merchandise.
- Assist with loading and unloading merchandise as needed.
- Notify Management of low or overstocked merchandise.
- Assist with sorting and pricing according to GWH guidelines as assigned.
- Assist with the security and safety of GWH Team Members and property.
- Remover hangers from cash wrap when needed.
- Assist in floor recovery as needed.
- Perform necessary janitorial work.
- Demonstrate professionalism and presents a friendly, cooperative attitude.
- Ability to multi-task, make quick decisions and work in a team oriented, fast paced environment.
- Must be punctual and have dependable attendance.
- Must conduct work in a safe manner; maintain good housekeeping standards, have all aisles and pathways to fire exists clear and free from clutter, keep work areas neat and clean.
- Must report all work incidents and injuries immediately.
- Adheres to all GWH policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Management.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Able to perform basic math functions, including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Ability to communicate and interact well with a variety of personality types.
- Poses excellent customer service skills.
- Retail sales experience is preferred.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Must have reliable transportation.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
The ability to continuously stand/walk for duration of shift, frequently push/pull, occasionally bend/stoop/crawl/kneel/reach above shoulders and climb a ladder. Able to lift, up to, 40 lbs. (fixture parts, cartons of product).