Hennepin Healthcare is an integrated system of care that includes HCMC, a nationally recognized Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center and acute care hospital. The comprehensive healthcare system includes a 484 bed academic medical center, a large outpatient Clinic & Specialty Center, and a network of primary and specialty care clinics in Minneapolis and in suburban communities. Hennepin Healthcare has a large psychiatric program, home care and hospice, and operates a research institute, innovation center and philanthropic foundation.
Hennepin Healthcares Surgery Intensive Care Unit is hiring a casual, non-benefit earning Health Care Assistant.
Within the context of Hennepin Healthcare System (HHS) culture of Patient & Family Centered Care and under direct RN supervision, the Health Care Assistant contributes to the health and well-being of assigned patients by performing quality patient care, technical procedures and related duties that meet established standards. Acts as a competent, caring and collaborative member of the patient care team. May provide clerical support for the unit including identified EHR duties, answering phones, coordinating unit communication, etc.
- Using principles of Patient & Family Centered Care develops and maintains a positive working relationship with patient and family, team members, department and medical center personnel
- Assists patients with activities of daily living, including hygiene, grooming, and bathing
- Responds to patients call lights in a timely manner, identifies patient needs and provides patients with appropriate response or communicates needs to appropriate team member
- Performs intentional rounding in collaboration with the RN
- Takes and records patient’s vital signs as prescribed by nursing protocol or physician order
- Measures, and records patient intake and output according to established protocol and order
- Conducts point of care tests as assigned and/or delegated
- Communicates any changes or pertinent information related to the patient’s physical appearance and attitude, I & O, vital signs, and point of care testing to the nurse. Records which nurse was notified for all abnormal results
- Keeps patient room neat, clean and orderly. Changes bed linen as scheduled and as needed
- Escorts patients on foot or transports patients on carts, beds or in wheelchairs
- Procures and stocks equipment and supplies, and insures that equipment is operable and clean
- Greets and relays information to appropriate staff, physicians, or family members
- Takes inventory of patient belongings and valuables as well as documents and secures
- Collects specimens using clean technique and labels appropriately
- Disposes of trash, linens and supplies in an appropriate manner
- Ensures patient and supply rooms are properly stocked; linen is covered
- Supports unit and medical center compliance with Regulatory standards, customer service and other initiatives
- May perform various technical procedures after training, competency validation, and upon delegation from a Registered Nurse, such as maintaining oxygen equipment, performing oral suctioning, routine incision care, providing skin care, applying and changing non-sterile dressings, applying warm and cold compresses or non-prescription topical creams/ointments, 12 lead EKG’s, phlebotomies, and discontinuing IVs, saline locks and foley catheters
- Records actions in the EHR
- Performs clerical duties in EHR; answers phones and triages calls appropriately
- Performs all responsibilities/duties required by Patient Care Services as defined in the scope of service, to assure that the unique nature of the clients is addressed
Minimum Education/ Work Experience:
- Possession of a nursing assistant certificate AND 1 year of experience as a nursing assistant (six months of which must have been in one facility).
- Possession of nursing assistant certificate and enrollment in a school of professional nursing.
- An approved equivalent combination of education and experience
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Basic Life Support
- Training/equivalent experience as a nursing assistant, CNA, EMT, Medical Assistant
- Current student (enrolled) in a 4 year RN program
- Experience with EPIC and/or similar electronic health record system
- One year Nursing Assistant experience in a similar (hospital) setting
Knowledge/ Skills/ Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology
- Basic computer knowledge
- Ability to work cohesively and respectfully with a diverse work force and patient population
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and communicate with multidisciplinary staff
- Ability to adapt to sometimes rapidly changing and unpredictable situations
- Ability to read and follow written instructions; understand and communicate verbal and written information
- Ability to perform job duties that meet departmental performance expectations as well as HCMC standards related to quality, accuracy, productivity, patient & family centered care, customer service, etc.
- Possession of a nursing assistant certificate from the Minnesota Department of Health may be required.
You've made the right choice in considering Hennepin Healthcare for your employment. We offer a wealth of opportunities for individuals who want to make an impact in our patients' lives. We are dedicated to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to both current and prospective employees. We are driven to connect talented individuals with life-changing career opportunities, enabling you to provide exceptional care without exception. Thank you for considering Hennepin Healthcare as a future employer.
Please Note: Offers of employment from Hennepin Healthcare are conditional and contingent upon successful clearance of all background checks and pre-employment requirements.