Location:15321 Brand Boulevard, Mission Hills, CA 91345
Position Summary: The Cat Caregiver will work within a team setting to oversee the health, well being, and general care of the cats at Best Friends Los Angeles.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide care and handling for cats that may have behavioral issues which may include shyness, fearfulness, and other undesirable behaviors.
- Provide care for cats that have significant medical issues including, but not limited to, panleukopenia, ringworm, calici, renal failure, feline leukemia virus (FeLV), etc.
- Feed the cats in the center according to the established protocol including: bottle feeding and tube feeding neonates; and force feeding or esophagogastric tube feeding medical cases as required
- Monitor cat eating habits, make food adjustments as necessary and report to supervisors when there are changes in appetite or weight fluctuations including weighing and recording on charts for neonates and medical cases.
- Maintain accurate, organized, up-to-date records for all the cats in Best Friends Los Angeles care.
- Clean in accordance with posted protocols to include all cat area's: main cat area, neonate nursery, ringworm wards, panleukopenia wards, and other miscellaneous medical wards.
- Administer medications to all cats within the center including neonates, general population, and severe medical cases; medications include but are not limited to, oral, topical, subcutaneous, and medicated baths.
- Check medications against "med sheets" for accuracy, document error(s), and work with medical team to obtain correct medications as applicable.
- Work with Adoptions Staff and Management to determine better and more effective means to promote and adopt our cats.
- Other duties as assigned by Management, SR Management, or Executive Director.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Work with a positive outlook, upbeat, energetic and taking initiative.
- Strong desire to work with cats as well as previous experience working with cats is preferred.
- Must be able to work with all cats, including those with health or behavioral concerns/conditions.
- Experience with bottle babies and an understanding of basic medical needs for neonate animals a plus.
- Able to act decisively in emergency situations - making medical decisions for neonatal kittens and animals with special needs.
- Must be able to handle stressful situations and make difficult decision under pressure.
- Experience interacting with the general public preferred. Demonstrating approachability when dealing with the general public.
- Basic computer skills required including checking and preparing emails, managing google calendar and google document, and using the Automatic Data Processing (ADP) system for time keeping and access to documents.
- Must be able to professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish a plus.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation to travel on organization business.
- Must be able to routinely lift 40-50 pounds.
- Must be physically able to perform strenuous manual labor.
- Effectively handle dogs and cats.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Lifting and handling animals of varying sizes and breeds, bending, stooping and walking on a daily basis.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: includes weekends, night, holiday and on-call work.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.