JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers and small business, commercial banking, financial transaction processing, and asset management. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Information about JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at http://www.jpmorganchase.com/.
Our Firmwide Risk function is focused on cultivating a stronger, unified culture that embraces a sense of personal accountability for developing the highest corporate standards in governance and controls across the firm. Business priorities are built around the need to strengthen and guard the firm from the many risks we face, financial rigor, risk discipline, fostering a transparent culture and doing the right thing in every situation. We are equally focused on nurturing talent, respecting the diverse experiences that our team of Risk professionals bring and embracing an inclusive environment.
Chase Consumer & Community Banking (CCB) serves consumers and small businesses with a broad range of financial services, including personal banking, small business banking and lending, mortgages, credit cards, payments, auto finance and investment advice. Consumer & Community Banking Risk Management partners with each CCB sub-line of business to identify, assess, prioritize and remediate risk. Types of risk that occur in consumer businesses include fraud, reputation, operational, credit, market and regulatory, among others
Business Banking (BB) serves more than 2 million clients nationally, including small businesses, municipalities and not-for-profit entities. Chase is a leading national Small Business Administration lender. Delivering a broad array of financial solutions with local expertise and dedicated service, BB partners with the firm's other businesses to provide comprehensive solutions, including lending, deposit products and treasury services to meet its clients' financial needs.
The Business Banking Risk Management Credit Underwriting group at JPMorgan Chase partners with the Sales organization to provide lending products and services. Our target business client has revenues up to $20 million and credit needs up to $25million. Credit products include: Lines of Credit, Term Loans, Commercial Real Estate Loans, Equipment Leases, Small Business Administration Loans and a variety of Cash Management products. Credit decisions for the targeted team are generally made using a Wholesale credit approach, where applicants have a variety of business structures and deal complexity.
As a Wholesale Underwriting Credit Delivery Manager for Business Banking, your primary responsibilities are managing a team of Regional Credit Approval Officers who: approve new credit, renew existing credit lines, complete annual reviews of larger credit exposures and maintain relationships with key functional partners (Sales, Operations, Legal, Compliance and Risk). The incumbent will appropriately assess the risk in the portfolio, ensuring that the team decisions new credit transactions according to requirements and diligently manages the existing credit portfolio (i.e. renewals, modifications, managing the credit metrics), meeting customer expectations and established goals (turn time, quality and growth). The incumbent will also have direct accountability for Credit Approval Officer quality and regulatory compliance (Reg. B, Reg. O, Reg. W, etc.). As part of the management team, the incumbent will be expected to identify opportunities to improve controls and efficiencies as well as lead change through identified projects.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead a team of credit professionals to efficiently decision credits of varying complexity while maintaining high quality standards and adhering to credit policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Implement the firm’s risk appetite across the various industries we serve and in all geographic locations covered. Ensure appropriate Risk Grading and Loss Given Default assignments to all credits.
- Effectively communicate as the key point of contact with the Regional Sales Executive to maintain a cohesive and productive partnership for their respective groups.
- Develop and oversee the resources and workflow process to manage Time to Money for new and renewed deal flow and other portfolio management related activities so that all benchmarks and expectations are met.
- Ensuring that appropriate credit analysis, due diligence, and review of documents for credit decisions in regard to new money and portfolio activities. Assume ownership of the portfolio quality, acting with a sense of urgency, doing whatever it takes to effectively get the job done.
- Utilize excellent credit skills to ensure well thought out and concise analysis of relationships using appropriate structure and identifying key risks.
- Ability to quickly and accurately evaluate smaller relationships to determine if the risk profile is acceptable and recommend simple structures that adequately protect the bank while not over engineering the transaction.
- Flexibility and the ability to identify larger opportunities and to ensure warm hand-offs of same to other appropriate team members.
- Demonstrating excellent communication skills both internally and externally and using those communication skills to effectively solve problems.
- The ability and courage to voice your opinion in a clear, concise manner and to defend that position with management.
- Partnering with other functions to put in place and consistently improve processes to drive efficiency and consistency, while maintaining credit quality of portfolio.
- Using analytics and reporting to manage resourcing and workload.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Formal Credit Training from a well-recognized Financial Institution
- Demonstrated experience hiring, managing and developing teams
- Ability to manage time sensitive, complex initiatives
- 10+ years of Underwriting experience required; in a banking or financial services environment preferred.
- Excellent risk assessment skills, including risk identification and measurement, mitigation strategy development, regulatory management, policy and procedure development
- Proven ability to work in a matrixed environment, provide oversight, negotiate and directly influence change
- Ability to collaborate with business and functional experts to provide risk assessment guidance, recognize risks and design enhancements
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to negotiate, compromise and demonstrate diplomacy in sensitive situations and to interact effectively with senior management
- Ability to build relationships with the Business and other LOB partners
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong project management and process skills
- Ability to prioritize and execute on multiple, simultaneous, complex priorities
- Ability to analyze data, identify root causes, recommend change controls to senior management
- Strong understanding of Credit and Treasury Products as well as their inherent risks and available mitigants.