At NorthStar Memorial Group, we choose collaboration over bureaucracy. Here, everyone has a chance to lead. We encourage & empower our people at every level to speak up, be heard, and watch their ideas become realities. Degreed & non-degreed professionals, labor workers, industry experts – people from all career and experiential backgrounds have the opportunity to find a home here.
Sound too good to be true? Check us out on Glassdoor to see why our employees have voted NSMG one of the best companies to work for 7 years in a row! Click here to view us on Glassdoor
We are seeking a Cemetery Caretaker for Chapel of the Chimes Columbarium in Oakland, CA. Chapel of the Chimes - Oakland is truly a place like no other. If you want to be in a position where you can make a difference in a person’s day, this is for you. Originally designed in 1909, this Oakland Historical Landmark Building has long been considered one of the most beautiful historic buildings in all of California. Featuring stunning natural stonework, polished marble, delicate sculptures, and mosaic-tiled floors, it evokes renaissance beauty and serenity at every turn. With its many skylit rooms and interior gardens, it requires special care from special people.
The successful candidate will have a strong work ethic and, ideally, previous experience in a general labor, janitorial or landscape / grounds keeping type position, as well as having a customer service-oriented outlook. Ability to problem solve during sensitive moments and to work cross functionally with other teams is essential. This position is responsible for the overall appearance and care of this legacy columbarium, mausoleum, and funeral home location. You will also be involved in assisting our client families with their loved ones’ placement in the various niches and crypts, as well as when visitors need help placing flowers. If you are hardworking, enjoy challenges, and have a dedication to providing caring service to people and a unique building, apply now!
- Clean and maintain facility, perform minor repairs, painting, etc.
- Clear debris and maintain drives and walkways in safe condition
- Assist with the maintenance and watering of the various gardens
- Maintain overall appearance and cleanliness of funeral homes and/or mausoleum facilities
- Help with preparation and setup for opening and closing entombments and inurnments
- Install bronze memorials, crypt/niche faces, etc.
- Maintain and repair existing markers and other cemetery features
- Assist with loading and unloading caskets
- Assist with setting up chapel for services
- Permit to operate equipment used at the facility as per local regulations
- 6+ months of general labor or grounds keeping experience
- Valid driver's license
Want to stay informed about new job opportunities at NorthStar? Join our Talent Network & receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests!
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.