NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children's hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center, and NYU Grossman School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Central Processing Clerk.
In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for performing a number of routine tasks relating to the processing of specimens and the return of results to the Medical Staff.
- Collects specimens from the pneumatic tube system or delivery person.Verifies that each specimen is accompanied by transmittal or manual requisition.Verifies that each specimen is properly collected.Verifies that each specimen has label with name and medical record number. Verifies that the information on the label matches that on the transmittal or requisition and that the information on the transmittal is complete and accurate.
- Sorts, processes and distributes specimens. Sorts, racks and accessions specimens according to established procedures, making sure that special comments and instructions are observed. Processes stats and specimens with time-sensitive protocols in a timely manner. Labels specimens correctly with barcode labels and delivers specimens and labels to the appropriate laboratory. Order sun-coded tests from manual requisitions, on the L.I.S.Registers patients and orders tests on the Epic system and L.I.S.
- Investigates and troubleshoot basic specimen problems.Notifies areas of specimens not labeled, incorrectly collected or with names that do not match the transmittal or manual requisition and follows-up to assure timely response. Thoroughly investigates problem to obtain optimum solution. Assists laboratory staff with CPA related specimen problems. Documents all specimen problems on the Problem Specimen Form clearly and completely. Notifies supervisor of all problem specimens and refers the complex problems to him/her. Keeps abreast of all procedure changes and implements to assure accuracy work quality
- Answer telephones. Provides customer service to Laboratory and Medical staff. Answers telephones promptly, converses courteously and directs calls in a professional manner. Responds promptly to laboratory and medical staff who come to the CPA. Provides accurate information to inquiries from the medical staff. Faxes results to physicians offices or other institutions after following the protocol for protecting the confidentiality of the information. Responds promptly to requests to make tests Stat or to add test to an order that was already received.
- Performs routine support functions. Does the routine maintenance of the L.I.S peripheral devices and fix or reports printer problems. Performs support functions unique to shift (computer backup, blood collection tasks etc). Replaces ribbons and restock paper on the high speed printers and replace labels on the Label printers. Clears jams and restocks paper in the copy machines. Replenishes CPA supplies (gloves etc) on a daily basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or the equivalent.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Some Science courses.
- Previous medical/laboratory experience.
- Knowledge of typing.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.