Hennepin Healthcare is an integrated system of care that includes HCMC, a nationally recognized Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center and acute care hospital. The comprehensive healthcare system includes a 484 bed academic medical center, a large outpatient Clinic & Specialty Center, and a network of primary and specialty care clinics in Minneapolis and in suburban communities. Hennepin Healthcare has a large psychiatric program, home care and hospice, and operates a research institute, innovation center and philanthropic foundation.
Hennepin Healthcare has a current opening for a Central Processing Tech II. This casual position will work a rotating schedule.
Under basic supervision, performs work in a technical support position involving sterile processing and dispensing of supplies and equipment needed for patient care. Ensures departmental standards for quality and productivity are maintained. Performs sterile processing and distribution functions within the Central Processing Department. Implements and abides by Customer Service Standards. Supports and implements patient safety and other safety practices as appropriate.
- Collect, receive, and decontaminate soiled medical instruments and re-processable items
- Correctly identify, disassemble, reassemble, and inspect routine and specialty surgical instrument trays
- Fill and distribute rush, stat, and walk in requests for sterile supplies
- Sort inspect, assemble package, and label re-processable items for sterile supplies
- Sterilize packs, trays instruments, equipment, liquids, and other re-processable items from nursing stations, clinics, and operating rooms
- High level disinfection of complex scopes
- Dispose of waste and soiled linen
- Clean, check and/or operate equipment that is used for the reprocessing supplies (washer, sterilizer, steam and gas sterilizers, aerators, sonic cleaners, and pasteurizer washer)
- Retrieves unused sterile supplies and instrumentation from the operating room after procedures and returns them to stock on shelves in the sterile processing area
- Performs manual cleaning of case cart
- Performs sterilization/ decontamination procedures in accordance with departmental protocols, regulatory guidelines, and industry standards as outlined in department procedures
- Inspects, assembles, and packages items according to departmental procedures and accepted industry standards
- Initiates and performs sterilization quality assurance processes, interprets quality assurance results, and documents those results in accordance with Joint Commission, departmental procedures and accepted industry standards
- Fills supply, instrument, and equipment requests, both routine and non-routine, according to departmental procedures. Organizes and maintains records pertinent to inventory management. Initiates ordering and charging mechanisms as required
- Maintains department records, logs, reports, and files as required by Joint Commission, OSHA, HCMC, and CPD departmental policy
- Delivery and retrieval of clean and dirty instruments and equipment as needed/requested
- Operate, maintain and evaluate the performance of all steam and gas autoclaves as needed to comply with Joint Commission standards
- Restock the “alert orange” cart
- Keep work area neat and clean. Inventory, stock, and re-stock supplies, supply carts, trays, and make appropriate changes and charges
- Proficient in all areas – rotates and is cross trained in multiple areas
- Performs all other related duties as requested to meet departmental needs after appropriate training
- One year experience as a sterilization technician
- Relevant training and education in sterile processing techniques
- An approved equivalent combination of education and experience
- Graduation from an approved technical sterile processing program
- Hospital experience as a sterilization technician
Knowledge/ Skills/ Abilities:
- Basic computer skills
- Able to perform a step by step procedure accurately and efficiently
- Able to work in a fast paced environment
- Self starter
You've made the right choice in considering Hennepin Healthcare for your employment. We offer a wealth of opportunities for individuals who want to make an impact in our patients' lives. We are dedicated to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to both current and prospective employees. We are driven to connect talented individuals with life-changing career opportunities, enabling you to provide exceptional care without exception. Thank you for considering Hennepin Healthcare as a future employer.
Please Note: Offers of employment from Hennepin Healthcare are conditional and contingent upon successful clearance of all background checks and pre-employment requirements.