- Job ID:
- 300 Boylston St., Newton, MA 02467
- Purchasing/Materials Management
- Employment Type:
- Full time
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is opening a new outpatient cancer facility in January 2021 in Chestnut Hill and is seeking a Certified Registered Central Service Technician.
The new ambulatory center, located at 300 Boylston Street, Chestnut Hill, will provide much needed space for adult patient care to support our patient growth. Dana-Farber - Chestnut Hill will offer Clinical and Research Laboratory Services, Clinical Trials, Imaging, Infusion Services, Nutrition Support, Retail Pharmacy, Social Work, and Transfusion Services. This will be a multi-disciplinary, state-of-the-art facility designed to maintain the same model of care that is currently given to our patients on our Longwood Campus.
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals. #LI-CP1
Under the direct supervision of the Manager of Central Sterile Supply, the Technician is responsible for ensuring that all instruments and equipment are properly inventoried, decontaminated, assembled, inspected, packaged, sterilized, stored, distributed and tracked in a quality/timely manner throughout the institute. Under direct/indirect supervision, follows approved infection control, quality assurance and departmental policies and procedures to perform a variety of duties related to the care and reprocessing of Flexible Endoscopes and Accessories. This position is also responsible for product ordering, receipt, storage, and delivery of linens throughout the Institute.
- Collects, cleans and sorts soiled instruments received from the clinical nursing floors
- Responsible for daily floor rounds:
- for instrument/equipment cleaning
- Inspects, assembles, wraps, and sterilizes clean instruments according to policy and industry standards.
- Proficient in the care, handling and disinfection of all endoscopes and accessories.
- Demonstrates knowledge of high-level disinfection and sterilization of endoscopy equipment (maintains daily log, testing efficacy of disinfecting solution with each cycle, performs biological tests, test strips quality control checks, and completes log, as per department policies and procedures).
- Adheres to manufacturers recommended cleaning procedures when processing flexible endoscopes manually and/or using Automated Endoscope Reprocessor.
- Verifies proper functioning of equipment prior to procedure. Clean, disinfect, or calibrate scopes or other endoscopic instruments according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Receives and processes incoming supplies and equipment for the Endoscopy suite as needed.
- Notifies CSSD management of any missing instruments and parts.
- Conducts “daily air removal test” and upon completion performs biological monitoring and documentation of steam sterilizer
- Operates and maintains logs for prevaccuum sterilizer and washer decontaminators.
- Performs all tasks related to CSSD automated product ordering system e.g. stock replenishment, order requisition, product order confirmation, update product pricing, etc.
- Checks supplies and equipment on adult and pediatric code carts against master list and replaces those items which may be missing
- Assists with orientation and training of new employees.
- Checks supplies and equipment on adult and pediatric intubation boxes against master list and replaces those items which may be missing
- Delivery of laundry / linens (to include but not limited to, Johnnies, Pajamas’, Sheets, Scrubs, Linens, Towels, Blankets, etc.) throughout the Institute as required.
- Lab Coats, Hospital Scrubs, manning delivery window at set scheduled Institute hours.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or directed.
- High School graduate or equivalent required.
- Must be a Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) with annual renewal.
- 3+ years previous related experience preferred, demonstrating familiarity with surgical instrumentation, decontamination and sterilization techniques. Such experience may have been obtained by performing related duties in Central Sterile Services or Surgical Reprocessing.
- Ability to lift up to twenty-five pounds, and move heavy linen carts as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to read and write, including the use of charts, reports and manuals.
- Good verbal and written communication skills (in English) being concise by phone and in person.
- Good interpersonal skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and the ability to receive and give back constructive feedback.
- Organizational and numerical ability to receive, count and store materials.
- Ability to operate a personal computer to access and input information to prepare and maintain records.
- Ability to operate automatic washers and sterilization equipment according to equipment operating instructions.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Effective problem solving skills to include data analysis and judgment to make effective decisions.
- Able to work standing. Must be able to bend, twist, push, pull and lift up to twenty-five pounds without special equipment or assistance.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.