The primary purpose of the Central Sterile Tech is to collect, clean, decontaminate, disinfect and/or sterilize surgical instruments, trays and packs, reusable medical devices and patient care equipment according to established standards and procedures to ensure sterile and functioning supply of materials and equipment. The Central Sterile Tech understands microbiology and infection control standards.
- Knowledge of reusable surgical instrumentation, micro surgical instrumentation, and power equipment.
- Knowledge and operation of sterile processing equipment (washers, steam, gas, ultrasonic and chemical sterilizers).
- Knowledge of cleaning of patient care equipment.
- Knowledge of different types of sterilization materials and equipment to choose the appropriate method of sterilization for particular equipment or supplies.
- Document and maintain accurate sterilization records.
- Inspect, assemble and test general and specialty instrumentation for proper functioning.
- Perform simple maintenance on equipment (i.e. clean filters and drains).
- Prepare trays for designated areas according to policies and procedures.
- Document and maintain inventory of supplies and materials.
Education: High School Diploma or GED required.
License/Certification: National certification as a Central Sterile Processing Technician or equivalent preferred. BLS certification preferred.
Experience: Six (6) months of hospital experience preferred.