Summary: Assists Dentists, Dental Health Aide Therapists, and Dental Hygienists in the direct provision of primary
care of dental services to the beneficiaries of Kodiak Area Native Association.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Continually strive to improve patient experience and quality of care by focusing on optimal patient access, continuity, and team based care.
- Prepare patient, sterilize and disinfect instruments, set up instrument trays, prepare materials, and assist dentist during dental procedures.
- Take and record medical and dental histories and vital signs of patient.
- Expose dental diagnostic x-rays.
- Make preliminary impressions for study casts and occlusal registrations for mounting study casts.
- Pour, trim, and polish study casts, fabricates custom impression trays from preliminary impressions, cleans and polishes removable appliances, and fabricates temporary restorations.
- Assist dentist in management of medical and dental emergencies.
- Instruct patients in oral hygiene and plaque control programs.
- Provide postoperative instructions prescribed by Dentist.
- Record treatment information in patient records.
- Schedule appointments, prepare bills and receive payment for dental services, complete insurance forms, and maintain clerical records.
- Provide coronal polishing and fluoride treatment services with appropriate certification.
- Aide in the training and orientation of expanded functions for dental assistant staff. Work to provide a professional atmosphere conducive to the development of non-certified dental assistant staff to obtain Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Certification.
- Maintain Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Certification through continuing education efforts.
- Regularly travel by small plane to provide dental services to the village communities as assigned. Scheduled village travel up to one visit per month for one to four days based on the needs of the community.
Supervisory Responsibilities This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Competencies To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Professionalism - Treats others with respect and consideration; Reacts well under pressure; Works ethically and with
Integrity; Adheres to confidentiality and privacy laws, Upholds organizational values.
Customer Service - (Customer may include beneficiaries, coworkers, or the public.) Manages difficult or emotional
customer situations; Responds promptly to customer requests for service and assistance.
Dependability - Consistently reports to work on time and adheres to work schedule. Completes tasks in a timely manner
or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan. Takes responsibility for own actions.
Communication - Clear, concise, courteous verbal and written communications. Listens and gets clarification; Responds
well to questions. Able to read and interpret written information.
Initiative - Looks for solutions to problems or conflicts; Assumes additional responsibility when a need is identified.
Adaptability - Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with
frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives
and welcomes constructive feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
Planning and Organization - Structuring tasks; Establishing priorities; Developing realistic action plans.
Safety - Follows all KANA safety guidelines; Wears required personal protective equipment as it applies to the job;
Reports any potentially unsafe conditions.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write
simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one situations.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written and oral form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Database; Internet; Spreadsheet and
Word Processing software.
- Knowledge of Standards of Care, OSHA, and Infection Control; Knowledge of HIPAA compliance, ability to maintain patient confidentiality required.
- Must possess the ability to work well with a wide array of people while attending to their oral health care needs displaying a heightened sensitivity to the cultural specificities of KANA's service population; Must be dependable and conscientious, possessing initiative and self-motivation.
- Travel in a small plane to rural communities required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to handle or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; risk of electrical shock; risk of radiation and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent. Two (2) years of experience required. Four (4) years of experience preferred.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Certified Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Certification and current BLS certification required.