Proudly serving the residents of Pittsburgh's western suburbs for more than 100 years.
Today, it is Ohio Valley Hospital’s mission to provide programs and services that improve the quality of life of community members across our service area. Our staff and administration strive to provide caring, cost-effective, and friendly health care. We view safety and quality as top priorities — while also encouraging innovative and creative approaches to improving patient outcomes.
Great career opportunities are waiting for you at Ohio Valley Hospital.
Our mission of quality, personalized health care for every patient is not the only outstanding benefit we bring to our community. There are lots of great jobs here too. Challenging, important work. Rewarding careers for those willing to dedicate themselves to providing health care and other crucial assistance to our patients.
The Certified Medical Assistants or LPN position are located in the Ohio Valley Professional Services offices. It is responsible for performing clinical & clerical tasks in a physician office setting. Previous experience in a general surgery office is preferred, but not necessary. Familiar with electronic health records. Graduate of an accredited medical assisting program with current certification required. The hours for this position are Monday through Friday, daylight, no weekends or holidays.
Essential Job Functions
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of medical terminology.
- Answer telephones, document all telephone correspondence completely and using the assigned forms, processes, procedures and systems. Screen and direct calls and messages to the appropriate staff member.
- Schedule and confirm patient appointments.
- Compile, prepare and maintain current patient charts, reports and correspondence. Copy, file and/or prepare documents, billing and other patient forms as directed within given time constraints.
- Gather and prepare full patient history and past medical records relevant to the patient's condition accurately and in a timely manner as assigned.
- Process patient registrations including sign-in, information forms, and obtain photo and insurance identification according to OVPS policies and procedures.
- Take and record accurate vital signs, chief complaint, problem summary and reconciliation, and medication list and reconciliation.
- Follow Hospital protocols and procedures for performing satisfactory venipuncture and specimen collection, properly labeling and preparing specimens, and coordinating courier or reference lab pick ups.
- Assist physician(s) and other medical staff with procedures and examinations.
- Schedule patients for testing and surgery as needed or directed.
- Give patient instructions as required.
- Obtain insurance prior authorizations for procedures and tests in a timely manner. Obtain proper authorization for treatment and approval codes from the insurance carrier for patients presenting for treatment.
- Communicate with patients regarding any delays in appointment times.
- Review and collect patient copays, balances, and deductibles and document collection status as directed. Prepare collections for deposit. Maintain integrity of the petty cash fund. Maintain log for the Practice Administrator to report point of service collection dollars. Comply with collection policies and procedures.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Graduate of an accredited medical assisting program or equivalent work experience required for Certified Medical Assistant
- Graduate of School of Practical Nursing required for LPN.
- Current Pennsylvania LPN license required for LPN.
- BLS certification within 60 days of hire date.
Technical Skills and Abilities - Ability to learn and work within various computer programs including Meditech and Microsoft Office. Ability to use electronic health record.
Communication Skills and Abilities - Ability to communicate effectively with patients, visitors, peers, physicians, and management.
Other Skills and Abilities - Ability to maintain confidentiality and remain professional in sensitive situations.