Position Title: Certified Medical Assistant (Bilingual Preferred)
Salary: $16 - 18/hr+, DOE, Generous Benefits
Hours: 40 hours per week / non-exempt
Reports to: Medical Assistant Lead
Our certified medical assistants provide skillful support of the clinical team and help manage patient schedules and clinic flow as well as providers’ schedules.
ABOUT THE WALLACE MEDICAL CONCERN
“We provide an open door to exceptional health services and connections that support individuals and their families in healthy living.”
The Wallace Medical Concern is a Federally Qualified Health Center working to improve the health outcomes of our community. We are a growing patient-centered primary care home committed to offering high quality programs based on the most promising and progressive best practices.
Wallace is deeply rooted in our dynamic, vibrant, multicultural—and under-served—community. We believe healthcare extends beyond the exam room and focus on serving the whole person, with support and resources to engage them fully in creating good health.
JOIN THE WALLACE TEAM
The WMC staff is our greatest asset in providing essential, high-quality health services to the greater Portland area. As our community grows, we grow with it. We offer an exceptional workplace the values individual contributions, cultural diversity, and ongoing learning.
When you join our team, you will…
…Bring good health to overlooked and underserved individuals and families in our community
…Collaborate with dedicated staff and volunteers an open, cooperative, and respectful environment
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the full patient experience onsite and in our mobile clinic, documenting patient history and vitals in the EMR and providing follow-up instructions and help with referrals as directed
- Assist providers with exams and procedures
- Collect and deliver lab specimens
- Perform CLIA-waived diagnostic tests, documenting results
- Perform basic first aid under direction of healthcare provider
- Under direction and supervision of healthcare provider, administer certain immunizations, injections, and medications, and draw blood
- Monitor client prescriptions, contacting client’s pharmacies with new prescriptions and refills
- Monitor patient lists to include making calls to patients to schedule follow-up appointments
- Update and maintain patient files in the EMR
Care Team Member
- Actively participate in daily huddles with care team
- Work collaboratively with the Nursing Manager and Lead Medical Assistant to ensure proper handling and inventory of medications
- Perform medical office and clerical tasks; greet patients and schedule appointments; provide front office coverage for patient check-in and check-out; respond to telephone inquiries; process referrals and release of information forms; perform data entry and prepare clinic reports
- Maintain examination rooms and laboratory with appropriate supplies and equipment
Wallace Team Member
- Nurture healthy working relationships and practice exceptional customer service with staff, volunteers and patients
- Participate in quality improvement activities and meetings
- Maintain strict patient, staff and organization confidentiality
- Perform other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Must have current certification as Medical Assistant from a nationally recognized program (e.g. AAMA), or must obtain certification within 3 months of hire
- Current BLS certification
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize work independently
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (in person, via email/other writing, and on phone)
- Ability to work effectively and professionally as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Fluent in Spanish strongly preferred; all multilingual speakers encouraged to apply
- Experience working in a primary care medical setting
- Experience assisting clients who have multiple barriers to accessing healthcare, such as poverty, language, mental illness, or lack of housing
- Experience with OCHIN Epic a plus
- Experience with HIPAA a plus
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US
This is a full time, hourly position. Most of the work is performed in a clinic (including mobile medical clinic) and office setting. Must be available to work between the hours of 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (shifts will vary depending on provider schedule). Some evening or weekend hours may be required.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and cover letter outlining why you’re an excellent fit for this position. Applications can be submitted through our careers webpage at http://wallacemedical.org/about-us/work-with-us/, or through the job boards to which this announcement is posted.
Note: Applications must include a cover letter to be considered.
This position will remain open until vacancies are filled.
The Wallace Medical Concern is an inclusive organization that values diversity. Those with experience working alongside culturally specific communities, marginalized groups, and applicants with lived experience around issues of poverty are all encouraged to apply.