General Summary: A certified Medical Assistant responsible for both the clinical and administrative areas including assisting physicians with patient care and handling clerical, environmental, and organizational tasks. Provides information to patients so they may fully utilize and benefit from the clinical services.
Location: Tampa and Brandon
Hours: 40 Hours (Tampa - M/T/W 9am-2pm & 3pm-7pm, Th 8:30am-1:30pm & 2:30pm-6:30pm, Brandon - Sat 8am-12pm)
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Fulfills patient care responsibilities as assigned that may include checking schedules and organizing patient flow; accompanying patients to exam/procedure room; assisting patients as needed with walking transfers, dressing, collecting specimens, preparing for exam, etc.; collecting patient history; performing screenings per provider guidelines; assisting physicians/nurses with various procedures; charting; relaying instructions to patients/families; answering calls, and providing pertinent information.
- Fulfills clerical responsibilities as assigned that may include sending/receiving patient medical records; obtaining lab/X-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information, etc.; completing forms/requisitions as needed; scheduling appointments; verifying insurance coverage and patient demographics; managing and updating charts to ensure that information is complete and filed appropriately.
- Fulfills environmental responsibilities as assigned that may include setting up instruments and equipment according to department protocols; cleaning exam/procedure rooms, instruments, and equipment between patient visits to maintain infection control; cleaning sterilizer according to scheduled maintenance program and keeping appropriate records; ordering, sorting, storing supplies; and restocking exam/procedure rooms.
- Fulfills organizational responsibilities as assigned including respecting/promoting patient rights; responding appropriately to emergency codes; sharing problems relating to patients and/or staff with immediate supervisor.
- Fulfills clinical medical assisting responsibilities that vary according to state law, which may include medical/surgical asepsis, sterilization, instrument wrapping and autoclaving; checking vital signs or mensuration; physical examination preparations; clinical pharmacology; drug administration through various routes including injections; prescription verifications with physician’s orders; minor surgery assists including surgical tray set-up pre/post-surgical care, applying dressings, and suture removal; biohazard waste disposal and monitoring; therapeutic modalities; instructing patients with assistive devices, body mechanics, and home care; laboratory procedures including Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines; quality control methods; CLIA-waived testing; capillary punctures and venipunctures; specimen handling such as urine, throat, vaginal, stool, and sputum; electrocardiography including mounting, emergency triage, and first aid. Medical assistants must adhere to the MA scope of practice in the laboratory.
- Other duties as assigned.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has an excellent patient/customer service skills.
- Has an out-going, dynamic personality, and has the ability to work well on a close team environment.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Graduation from an accredited medical vocational institution or a community college course in medical assisting strongly preferred.
- For Certified/Registered Medical Assistant: Minimum one year of recent experience working in a medical facility as a medical assistant. Electrocardiogram (EKG), vital signs, venipuncture, capillary, and injection current experience preferred.
- For non-Certified/Registered Medical Assistant: Minimum five years of recent experience working in a medical facility as a medical assistant. Electrocardiogram (EKG), vital signs, venipuncture, capillary, and injection current experience required.
- Current BLS/CPR certificate.