POSITION SUMMARY: The Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) assists clients with personal care activities, nutritional needs, and restorative function. CNAs will perform assigned medical tasks, provide client transportation, and assist with leisure activities. Emphasis will be placed on active treatment goals and achievement of the highest level of client function. CNAs are responsible for adherence to clinical standards of care and organizational policies and procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Personal Care Activities
• Performs/assists with personal care activities including bathing, dressing, shaving, toileting, and incontinence care in accordance with program protocols
• Performs/assists with oral care including brushing and flossing of teeth, swabbing gums, denture care, and administration of mouthwash
• Performs/assists clients with nail care of finger and toenails for non-diabetic clients
• Assists clients with snack and meal set up and feeding including but not limited to utilizing prescribed feeding techniques and adaptive feeding equipment
Restorative Care Activities
• Assists clients with ambulation including use of gait belts, walkers, rollators, and other devices in accordance with the client's plan of care
• Applies prescribed braces
• Assists clients with transfers to and from bed, chair or wheelchair utilizing 2-person transfer techniques and mechanical lifts as needed
• Maintains proper positioning of clients in bed, therapeutic chair or wheelchair to prevent aspiration.
• Maintains every 2 hour (Q2˚) turning and repositioning for all assigned clients while on unit including utilizing positioning pillows and tilt in space chairs to relieve pressure and documenting position changes on turning and repositioning worksheets
• Assists the licensed nurse in caring for the dying client and in providing postmortem care
Monitoring of Physical Status
• Empties Foley catheters and documents output
• Applies prescribed oxygen therapy devices such as nasal cannula or oxygen mask and monitors placement
• Monitors client bowel function and maintains documentation of bowel movements documenting changes in bowel function and alerting the nurse.
• Observes client for changes in baseline level of mental and physical function and immediately reports changes to the licensed nurse.
Documentation and Reporting
• Completes progress notes, supports/goals data collection sheets, Treatment Administration Record (TAR), Unit Alert Log, and Behavioral Support Plan (BSP) documentation as assigned.
• Completes Incident Reports on clients per Elwyn policy.
• Maintains a clean living area for clients, including the dining areas and kitchen.
• Actively carries out building safety routines and takes the initiative to correct safety hazards or reports hazards to proper supervisory personnel.
• Maintains client room in a neat and orderly manner, ensuring that all equipment is functional and in working order. Individualizes each client's personal environment.
• Ensures that client's personal equipment/specialized devices are clean, in good working order, and used correctly. Reports malfunctions, missing, or broken items to supervisor.
• Transports clients to and from day programs, recreational activities, unit based events and medical appointments/procedures.
• Trains and assists clients in constructive use of leisure time. Encourages participation in planned recreational activities
• Assists with shopping for clients. This may include purchasing clothing or personal items for client rooms
• Participates as a member of the Interdisciplinary Treatment Team. Contributes to the development of behavior management and program plans developed for each client and monitors individual progress
• Provides assigned coverage for co-worker's clients if co-worker is on break or needs to leave the building
• Actively participates in unit based meetings and in-services, clinical rounds, quality improvement activities, educational training
• Remains on duty until relieved by co-worker
• Attends training and in-service opportunities as scheduled
• Performs cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), and crisis intervention using agency-trained protocols
• Performs other duties as assigned
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Program Supervisor
DIRECT REPORTS: None
CONTACTS: Elwyn staff and clients, family members, funding source representatives, visitors, doctors, community members
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Current CNA certificate
• Maintain CPR and First Aid certification
• Experience working with people with disabilities preferred
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team
• Must be able to perform CPR, lifting and transferring, and crisis intervention techniques using agency-trained protocols
• Must possess excellent customer interaction, collaboration, , and written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated basic experience with internet-based programs
• Must have current, valid driver's license in state of residence, three (3) years driving experience, and acceptable driving record
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENTAL PROFILE: See Physical Demands Checklist below which represents the general physical demands and environment conditions to which the employee holding this position must meet, in addition to the duties and responsibilities listed above, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Elwyn will engage otherwise qualified candidates for this position whose disabilities may require reasonable accommodations to enable an individual to perform the essential functions.
Elwyn reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as needed. This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive statement of duties and responsibilities of the job nor does it constitute a written or implied contract.
Elwyn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation and identity, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, genetic information, disability status, military or veteran status, marital or family status, political activities or affiliations, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, and federal law.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled