Certified Nursing Assistant, Neuroscience Unit
Full Time, 72 Hours Per Pay Period, Night Shift (6:30 pm- 7:00 am, Every Other Weekend, Major and Minor Holiday Rotation)
At Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center we specialize in neurological treatment and hold the longest running comprehensive stroke certification in the region - we provide full cycle, cutting edge stroke treatment including neurosurgical procedures, and neurointerventional radiology. We are a tertiary referral center for stroke and neurological care, meaning other hospitals trust us with their most complex patients.
The Neuroscience unit (5 North) at Fort Sanders Regional is a 35 private bed unit providing care for patients with neurological symptoms, including patients undergoing neurosurgical interventions and/or procedures. Patients who come to 5 North are often recovering from Cerebrovascular Accidents (CVAs, also known as strokes) or seizures. We specialize in the treatment of the post-operative patient including C fusion operations (posterior and anterior), laminectomy, craniotomies and spinal surgeries.
As a PCA or CNA on our neuro unit, you will perform a variety of tasks such as:
- Taking and recording patient temperature, pulse, respiration rates, blood pressures, weights, heights, and intake-output measurements
- Performing phlebotomy; to include correct labeling using two patient identifiers, maintenance of lab-draw supplies, rotating and restocking.
- Promptly answering patient call lights and responding to patient requests
- Providing general care such as positioning, lifting or turning patients; assisting in use of bedpan, urinal or commode; preoperative supportive care; and application/removal of abdominal binders or anti-embolism stockings and sequential compression devices.
- Providing morning or evening care, which may include bed bath, oral hygiene, combing hair, back care, dressing patient, changing bed linen, cleaning over-bed table and bedside stand, straightening room, and other supportive care as needed.
Our staff consists of RNs, LPNs, CNA/PCAs, and HUCs who work together to provide exceptional patient care. In addition to having excellent critical thinking skills, our ideal candidate will also possess outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
As an organization, we want to grow our employees by promoting a culture of excellence and professionalism. Because of this, all non-certified patient care assistants who are hired at Fort Sanders Regional will be automatically enrolled in our no cost “Growing Excellence through Me” (GEM) program, where they will attend classes and receive training to qualify to sit for their Certified Nursing Assistant exam. Upon receiving a CNA certification, our employees graduate from the GEM program and receive an automatic pay increase.
To learn more about our GEM program visit: https://www.fsregional.com/g-e-m-program-implemented/
If you are passionate about putting patients first apply for our Neuro unit today!
Position Summary: Functions as a direct patient caregiver performing tasks to assist registered nurses. Performs hands-on care, assistance with ADL’s and specified technical tasks for a group of patients under the supervision of the Team Leader.
Minimum Education: None specified; however, must be sufficient to meet the standards for achievement of the below indicated license and/or certification as required by the issuing authority.
Minimum Experience: Hospital experience preferred. Medical terminology a plus. Must be able to operate computer and possess excellent interpersonal skills. Must be able to read with comprehension, write legibly, and perform basic arithmetic computation. Must have understanding and knowledge of patient care which may be appropriately delegated to nursing assistants.
Licensure Requirement: Must have and maintain Tennessee State CNA certification. CPR required.