Reports To: Teacher - Hearing Impaired
This position will provide interpretive services to facilitate communications between students with hearing and/or communication disabilities and other individuals through oral and signed language.
- Certified to interpret using American Sign Language
- High School Diploma
- Ability to handle stressful situations
- Dependable in attendance and observing office hours
- Preference will be given to candidates who are qualified at Level 3 or above based on either the E.I.P.A. (Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment) or the KQAS (Kansas Quality Assurance Screening) standards.
Physical/Emotional Requirements: (The incumbent may be required to use thefollowing skills and abilitiesduring any part of the working day.)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Interprets through the use of sign language for the student.
- Acts as a voice for the deaf/hearing impaired student with the classroom teacher and others.
- Facilitates the communication for activities throughout the day.
- Tutors/teaches deaf and hard of hearing students under the direction of the teacher of the deaf.
- Completes all Special Education paperwork including IEPs and Medicaid billing.
- Performs other related duties as directed.
Terms of Employment:
9 months; salary and work year to be determined by the Board of Education.
Performance of this position will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board policy on evaluation of classified employees.