Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: Variable schedule
The Chaplain Intern is responsible for participating as a part-time or summer student in the Houston Methodist accredited Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) program which includes classroom education as well as individual supervised learning. Under the clinical supervision of the ACPE Certifed Educator, ACPE Certified Associate Educator, or Student Educator CPE, is precepted and mentored by assigned Sr. Chaplain/Chaplains in the provision of spiritual care to meet the spiritual, religious, emotional, and psychological needs of patients, families, and employees.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE ¿ 20 %
1. Provides a supportive and positive environment for Houston Methodist patients, family members, visitors, employees and physicians. Provides spiritual care support to Houston Methodist employees. (EF)
2. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating in a positive, supportive, non-judgmental manner, reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner . (EF)
SERVICE - 50 %
1. Partners with Sr. Chaplain/Chaplain who is serving as the mentor/preceptor to provide spiritual care to meet the spiritual, religious, emotional and psychological needs of patients and their family members of all faiths, during hospitalization and particularly for pre-operative, critically ill and dying patients. (EF)
2. Assists in the initial screening and assessment of patients and the development of patient care plans; responds to assigned referrals. Follows patient protocols established by the precepting chaplain. (EF)
3. Provides crisis intervention for patients, visitors, and employees with attention to spiritual needs; involving others as needed.
4. Rotates with other CPE residents and interns in taking on-call responsibility on weeknights, weekends and holidays. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 15 %
1. Contributes to identification of corrective action and improvement activities and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. Reports ¿near misses¿ and inputs into PSN. (EF)
2. Participates in interdisciplinary health team rounds, discharge planning, support groups and other multi-disciplinary teams.
3. Seeks guidance from ACPE Certified Educator, ACPE Associate Educator, Supervisory Student Educator and precepting Chaplain as appropriate; escalates issues/requests to ensure quality and safety in services provided. (EF)
4. Accurately and thoroughly documents patient visits and spiritual care provided in the patient¿s record. (EF)
FINANCE - 5 %
1. Utilizes resources effectively and efficiently, demonstrating responsible financial stewardship.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10 %
1. Prepares required patient care reports and other summaries for review and evaluation in compliance with CPE program requirements. Proactively learns from feedback and mentoring. (EF)
2. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Enrollment in an accredited college/university; bachelor¿s degree or graduate level theological degree from accredited school preferred
o 2 years of involvement in ministry as a religious professional or active layperson; proof must be substantiated by written letter from faith/belief group
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely function in learning environment
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
o Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates various computer systems to enter and maintain patient documents
o Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.