At Alliance Oncology, our team members focus on transforming the patient experience and delivering exceptional quality care. Our commitment to patient care and excellence are reasons Alliance Oncology is a national leader in radiation oncology. It’s also the reason why Alliance is the partner of choice for hospitals, physicians, and other healthcare providers to whom we offer the latest oncology technologies and care.
The Charge Nurse is the key trouble-shooter and mentor for the Nurse team members. Performs a wide variety of duties involving the clinical care of patients receiving chemotherapy treatments and supporting the clinical duties of the Medical Director. Works with the physician in assessing and treating the new, current and follow-up appointments for patients. Educates patients and family regarding treatment and side effects management.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assesses patients’ current health conditions, chemotherapy tolerance, drug reactions, side effects and institutes appropriate interventions. Manages patients by providing appropriate supportive care and nursing interventions. Mixes and administers chemotherapy treatments, targeted therapies and supportive care treatments under the direction of the physician, and in compliance with all clinical standards of care and regulations.
- Provides education and emotional support to patients and family members regarding their specific diagnosis, chemotherapy treatments and management of side effects. Makes appropriate referrals to community and hospital support services, such as social work, home care, hospice, hospital admissions, etc., as needed. Act as a knowledge resource to other team members, health care professionals, patients, and the public.
- Works with the oncologist clinic team and office team members collaboratively to coordinate the scheduling of patient consultations, physician visits, chemotherapy appointments, outpatient testing/scans and follow-up visits as needed.
- Serves as a member of the Regimen committee to assist in development of the chemo regimens. Acts as medication resource for the nursing staff on chemo and other drug therapy treatments.
- Maintains comprehensive and accurate records of all patient activities in a timely manner, including exams, diagnostic testing, medications, cancer treatments, referring physician information, etc.
- Responsible for daily huddle to include current patient review and workload. Communicates pertinent information to site leader. Responsible to assign daily schedule and ensure proper coverage to care for patients throughout the day.
- Oversees the maintenance and care of the clinic’s equipment and supplies including maintaining stock levels of supplies and materials, checking for outdates, and ensuring that the exam rooms, chemo administration areas and equipment are neat, clean and in good working order.
- Associate's degree or eqivalent experience required; Certificate from College or Technical School preferred.
- Registered Nurse (RN) License required.
- CPR Certification required.
- State drivers’ license required.
- Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN) certification preferred.
- Two or more years of chemotherapy administration and oncology nursing experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently with team members across multiple levels of the organization, including medical office staff, Oncologists and others
- Knowledge of use and care of central venous access devices and potential complications.
- Local travel may be required.
- Employee may be exposed to bloody/body fluids and infectious disease. May be exposed to chemotherapy agents. May be exposed to communicable disease when interacting with patients.
- More than 50% of the time:
- Sit, stand, walk.
- Repetitive movement of hands, arms and legs.
- See, speak and hear to be able to communicate with patients.
- Less than 50% of the time:
- Stoop, kneel or crawl.
- Climb and balance.
- Carry and lift (10-20 lbs.)
A division of Alliance HealthCare Services, we are an equal opportunity employer and we believe in strength through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, age, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, status as a protected veteran, or disability.