Allegro is a respected leader in the senior living industry, actively engaged in ownership, operations, design, development and property management services for multiple luxury brands throughout the US, with corporate headquarters located in St. Louis, MO.
At Allegro in Fleming Island, you'll discover the joys of inspired senior living. We care a lot about the people we serve. So we work hard to help you continue to enjoy friends, family, hobbies, and to provide all the little things that make your life meaningful and unique. Our warm, comforting and engaging environment will delight you every day. Demand the best for the rest of your life. Live the Inspired Life at Allegro.
The primary responsibility of the Chef is to supervise and participate in the preparation of healthy, appetizing meals. The Chef is to assist the Dining Services Director (DSD) in staffing, food ordering, menu pricing, preparation, menu planning, special events, food delivery, inventory, and sanitation in accordance with appropriate industry and health department regulations and standards. Additionally, the Chef is responsible for overseeing and directing all "back of the house" activity and to work in conjunction with all department Directors when food is the focus of an event. The Chef is to interact professionally with residents, family members, guests, corporate associates, Community associates, and vendors in addition to the DSD, working to maintain a positive physical and social environment for the residents, associates and guests. The overall objective is to ensure that the entire dining experience is the highlight of the resident's day.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Participate in the recruitment, selection and orientation of new back-of-the-house kitchen associates.
- Schedule, supervise, assist and train all back-of-the-house kitchen associates in the day-to-day operations. This includes application of corrective action up to and including termination. Make job assignments and set priorities for each shift.
- Plan, organize, assist and coordinate the preparation of all meals in all parts of Dining Services.
- Assist with the menus and menu cycles according to cultural and regional food preferences, as well as residents' dietary guidelines.
- Monitor the quality and consistency of the food to include food temperatures, portion control, palatability and attractiveness of food; implement changes to ensure quality according to established standards.
- Receive and validate all food deliveries against order form and make sure that each item delivered is up to the proper "Safe Staff" guidelines for food deliveries.
- Assist in the monthly inventory of all food, paper, chemical and emergency supplies.
- Attend all Food Committee meetings as well as resident meetings to assist the DSD.
- Work with the DSD in planning special events coordination with other departments, such as Family night, Marketing Events, and Activity Events.
- Ensure that kitchen dining service equipment is maintained and work areas are clean, safe and orderly. Strictly adhere to procedures regarding infection control, food borne illness prevention, harmful chemical handling, fire, safety and sanitation, promptly addressing any transgressions.
- Supervise, assist and inspect food storage areas on a daily basis.
- Observe and assist associates engaged in preparing, portioning, and garnishing foods to ensure that methods of cooking and garnishing and sizes of portions are as prescribed.
- Cook and help prepare dishes as needed.
- Practice safe and sanitary food handling principles.
- Practice all safety and loss prevention procedures.
- Maintain professional standards of personal appearance and grooming which includes wearing proper attire and name tag when on duty and coach back-of-the-house kitchen associates to meet this same standard.
- Attend and participate in all meetings and training as required by Company policy and the DSD.
- Be watchful of signs that residents are not able to function independently or a change in resident's behavior. Report all signs to the DSD and/or Executive Director following the Company policies and procedures.
- Report any and all deferred maintenance, vandalism or hazardous situations to the DSD as discovered and take appropriate action as necessary.
- Ensure understanding of and compliance with all regulations regarding residents' rights.
- Maintain confidentiality of all pertinent resident, associate Community and Company information deemed as such.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Technical school or culinary school degree preferred.
- Minimum of four (4) years hands-on cooking and menu planning experience, preferably in senior living dining services or hotel industry including some proven management experience.
- Familiar with common kitchen appliances such as grill, steam table, refrigerator units Combi-oven, cook-and-hold cookers, steamers, food processors, etc.
- Must be flexible and able to multitask and possess a high level of energy/enthusiasm.
- Must attend to detail, have safety awareness and be a team player as well as have good verbal and listening skills.
- Must have a means of transportation.
- Must meet all state health requirements.
- Must have, or be willing to obtain, required state and/or local food handler permit and certification of Hepatitis A vaccination where required.
- Must have, or be willing to obtain, First Aid and CPR/AED certification.
- Must have Food Manager Certification or be willing to obtain.
- Must have working knowledge of appropriate Microsoft Office programs and POS programs.
- Must have a positive Criminal Background Screening.
- Must pass a physical having no sign or symptoms of a communicable disease including tuberculosis where required. Freedom from tuberculosis must be documented on an annual basis where required.
- The Community is a drug free workplace; associates are subject to adherence to the Company Drug Free Workplace policy.