The Chef Instructor, Savory contributes to the success of a Sur La Table store by inspiring customers on all points of their culinary journey. The Chef Instructor blends culinary talent and teaching skills to support the Resident Chef in driving business results. The Chef Instructor reports to the Resident Chef.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Models and directs employees to ensure customer service standards are met.
- Delivers an exceptional cooking class experience at every class using recipes and game plans provided.
- Stays informed by maintaining product knowledge, accesses available training and seeks out additional resources when necessary.
- Ensures high standards of sanitation and cleanliness are maintained throughout the experience by keeping work area and guest areas clean and organized.
- Ensures all food items are cooked and served at the correct temperature and under sanitary conditions.
- Works as a part of a high-performing team to achieve store’s sales plan. Strives to achieve individual and/or class sales goals.
- Models and ensures all Sur La Table policies and standard operating procedures (SOPs) are communicated effectively to employees, maintained and consistently followed.
- Provides coaching in the moment and performance feedback to Kitchen Assistants and communicates performance issues directly to the Resident Chef.
- Seeks opportunities to increase cooking class and retail sales.
- Records time worked, accurately and according to SLT policy.
- Anticipates and solves problems by taking decisive action, follow up with Resident Chef.
- Demonstrate exceptional verbal and written communication skills with employees, customers, field management and corporate office.
- May handle, serve, and pour liquor, wine and beer and/or mix ingredients, such as liquor, soda, water and etc. in order to prepare cocktails and other drinks.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by Resident Chef.
- Ability to communicate verbally and work cooperatively with employees and customers.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for up to 3 hours at a time.
- Ability to move about the work place coaching and directing employees and/or class participants or while selling to customers.
- Ability to distinguish, with a degree of accuracy, differences or similarities in intensity or quality of flavors or odors, or recognizing particular flavors or odors using tongue or nose.
- Ability to grab, reach, push, pull, bend, stoop, kneel and crouch in order to demonstrate, retrieve and/or replenish merchandise and/or cooking equipment.
- Ability to use hands to seize, hold, grasp, turn, or otherwise in order to chop, whisk, slice, stir, juice and/or demonstrate other techniques.
- Ability to work a varied schedule in order to teach classes at different times of the day, week and year.
- Ability to operate a computer, POS system, keyboards, merchandise scanners and mouse in order to accomplish work.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
- Ability to lift and/or move merchandise and/or kitchen equipment weighing up to 35 lbs.
- Environmental conditions: working with an open flame and/or other heating units, and exposure to variation in kitchen temperature.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- 1-2 Years kitchen operations experience.
- Culinary degree or equivalent Sous Chef experience considered in lieu of degree.
- Demonstrated successful teaching and training experience.
- Valid Food Handlers / Food Managers Certification.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Familiarity with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Proven ability to drive sales and motivate teams.
- Proven communication skills.
Sur La Table Core Competencies for Everyone:
- Focus on the Customer: You inspire and delight your customers.
- Be Genuine: Your communication style is respectful, effective and sincere.
- Make the Right Call: You effectively blend knowledge, experience, wisdom & decisive action.
- Take Ownership: You are committed, responsible and provide solutions.
- Achieve Results: You meet and exceed goals and expectations.
This job description represents a summary of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Sur La Table has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Sur La Table is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, religion, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or marital status. Sur La Table will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all federal, state, and local ordinances.