Aspen Aerogels, Inc. is a rapidly growing company founded in 2001 to capitalize on proprietary and patented advances in aerogel technology. Aspen has developed a proprietary, easy-to-use blanket form of aerogels with broad application to a variety of markets including Oil & Gas, Building & Construction, Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Solar Thermal, Appliances and Transportation. With facilities in Northborough, Mass and East Providence, RI, Aspen employees over 280 employees.
In this Chemical Engineering role, you will support a 24/7 manufacturing process using engineering skills to assess, manage, implement, improve or revise processes, with the goal of improving efficiency of operation, safety and the consistency of product quality. The role is also responsible for developing procedures that facilitate adherence to operating discipline and standardization of the processes, monitoring the effectiveness of processes and quantifies results and present findings to management and preparing detailed reports and analysis for use by management in measuring overall production efficiency.
Manufacturing Support Responsibilities:
- Accountability for established production goals by removing barriers or bottlenecks that may exist and inhibit production
- Work closely with production operators and Production Manager to identify and communicate daily issues, priorities and production changes
- Point of contact to coordinate activities to be performed on production lines including lockout/tagout, safe work permits, hot work, line and equipment opening
- Participate and/or lead when appropriate “root cause” investigations of safety and/or process incidents when necessary
- Work with internal or external partners in all day to day maintenance/reliability/equipment performance, instrument/hardware, programming/sequencing issues and quality control concerns
- Participate in daily production meetings, weekly staff meetings and other scheduled meetings
- Serves as coordinator during plant outages from equipment shutdown through starting up the process
- Leads small capital projects (typically under $100,000) and participates as a manufacturing representative on large capital projects including planning, design and P&ID reviews (PE)
- Assist in defining the quality control plan with the quality control team as requested
- Work to continue training production operators in troubleshooting and in obtaining a greater understanding of the process to be better able to independently resolve production concerns without reliance on engineering support
- Respond to system/server related issues affecting production and coordinate with IT and/or outside resources as needed
- Setup auto-generated reports in DCS to track raw material consumption and process cycle times to improve maximum asset capability
- Order production consumables and other required items
- Be available 24/7 for emergency/line down situations by phone or computer
- Adopt and follow Aspen’s core values of Safety, Quality, Integrity, Teamwork, Customer and Innovation on both a personal and professional level.
Key skill sets that are integral for success in this role include:
- time management: position involves supporting a high level of various production activities
- team player/works well in team environment and cross-functional groups
- dedication: not afraid to put in hours above standard work week (8am-5pm) to learn and support 24/7 production activities
- strong interpersonal and communication skills that can be sustained under high-stress situations
- strong sense of urgency and commitment
Education and Experience:
- BS/Chemical Engineering Degree required
- 8 – 10 years’ work experience in a manufacturing environment is required; chemical manufacturing experience is strongly preferred
- In-depth troubleshooting of distributed control system (DCS) for both hardware and code analysis, understanding system architecture and code development guidelines. Experience using ABB 800xA process control systems helpful
- Prior experience with OSHA’s Process Safety Management standards
- We offer competitive salaries and progressive benefits including health, dental, life insurance, 401K, generous paid time off, tuition reimbursement and more. All Applicants are subject to post-offer, pre-employment requirements.
Aspen Aerogels, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf .
Aspen Aerogels, Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (508) 466-3111 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
For Our Rhode Island Applicants:
Aspen Aerogels, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The East Providence, RI facility of Aspen Aerogels is subject to Title 28, Chapter 29-6.2 of Rhode Island General Laws, which governs Worker’s Compensation.