Chemical Process Development Engineer, Materials Manufacturing
- Job Category
- Engineering & Information Technology
- Fremont, California
- Req. ID
- Job Type
As Tesla continues to expand its business, we’re increasing our dependence on critical materials for batteries. As such, Tesla is looking to build a team of mechanical, chemical and process engineers to help find innovative pathways to drive down cost and reduce the fundamental cost of battery material synthesis and process equipment.
· Develop schematic and detailed designs for novel chemical processing systems
· Interface with equipment suppliers through concept development, system design iteration, procurement, installation, and acceptance testing
· Develop operating procedures, safety protocols, and maintenance plans for large scale chemical process equipment.
· Support operations teams with achieving productivity and material quality targets on pilot and commercial scale systems.
· Work closely with battery materials R&D team for introduction of novel materials and new process methods at larger scale.
· 0-2+ years of industry experience
· BS or MS degree in Chemical Engineering desired or other Engineering disciplines
· Experience with design of parts including general dimensions and tolerances
· Knowledge and experience in manufacturing process and rapid prototyping
· Ability to build a mass/energy balance for a process plant in total or in part
· Knowledge and experience with common chemical processes such as:
o Filtration, thermal processing, liquid reactors, crystallizers
o Milling, blending, powder conveying
o Wastewater treatment systems
o Electrochemical processing of materials
· Working knowledge and experience with process simulation software
· 2D/3D CAD software experience - Solidworks, CATIA or similar tools preferred
· Demonstrated ability to think critically and innovate in a dynamic role
· Ability to read and interpret mechanical and electrical drawings and process flow diagrams