Job Description: Chemist
Deco-Chem, Inc., located in Mishawaka, Indiana, is a privately owned U.S.-based ink and coatings manufacture. We have been in business for over 40 years. Our specialties include screen printing, roller coating, coil coating, flexography, rotary screen, letter press and adhesives. By offering UV Flexo and Screen Inks, we cater to a variety of markets such as advertising, automotive, appliances, and the label industry. Our Deco-Chem products are researched and developed in-house on-site in Mishawaka, Indiana, U.S.A. Customization is available for specialty colors and formulas. Here at Deco-Chem, we realize the importance quality, customer service, and helping your business keep their competitive edge.
Conduct product research & development for ink and coatings industry. Deco-Chem manufactures UV and solvent based ink systems for the screen, flexo, letterpress and other industries.
PRIMARY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY (Essential Functions):
- Product Research & Development (80%)
- Develop new ink systems
- Improve old ink systems
- Performs color matching tests and small batch production for formulation and lab test procedures.
- Provides technical product support to customers regarding product and application problems.
- Modifies existing formulas and formulates new ink in response to customer needs or as a potential new ink line.
- Analyzes customer printing problems through phone consultation, customer visits, or product testing and analysis.
- Responds to prospective customer inquiries regarding suppliers, applications, etc..
- Proofs colors and tests/analyzes customer complaints using flexo proofer, screen printing or coil coating.
- Works with raw materials vendors regarding formulation issues.
OTHER AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY (20%)
- Orders miscellaneous supplies for R&D and QC labs.
- Assists Sales through follow-up with customers to generate orders from ink samples.
- Performs quality control procedures of all ink lines (ex. screen printing, flexo, and coil) when needed.
- Ensure lab equipment and laboratory areas are cleaned and maintained properly.
- Assist in Production when needed
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- DIRECT REPORTS
- High School diploma
- Chemistry degree - Bachelors
COMPETENCIES (Skills & Knowledge)
- Verbal and written communication skills are needed to communicate about product information to customers and sales representatives.
- Technical product knowledge, including formulation and printing applications
- One will need to have computer skills (excel, word, and an e-mail program) to perform tasks.
- Mixers, ovens, UV lamps, weathering device, spectrometer, densitometers, mills and other machinery will be used.
- Personal computer, calculator, copier, fax and telephone.
- Ability to stand for six to eight (6-8) hours per day.
- Ability to operate computer key board and view computer screen for up to seven (7) hour per day.
- Visual ability to read gauges, meters and determine color.
- Analytical ability to identify problem, determine causes, apply technical product knowledge and recommend remedial action.
- Cognitive and reasoning ability to do mathematical computations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages for product formulation).
- Ability to prioritize and plan tasks, requiring conceptual, estimating and sequencing skills.
- Must be able to bend down, stoop, reach and stretch to reach above the head.
- Must be able to lift or move up to 60 pounds occasionally.
- Laboratory environment with occasional intermediate noise level associated with mixing equipment and compressors.
- Can have strong odors in production areas and residual odor in office areas.
- Production and laboratory areas are climate controlled.
- Protective eyewear and hand/skin protection is recommended in for laboratory and in selected production areas.