The Chief Compliance Officer for Mariner Wealth Advisors’ broker-dealer, MSEC, LLC is the ideal role for a high-functioning, energetic professional with in-depth compliance experience within a broker-dealer, deep understanding of FINRA & SEC regulations and a strong team mentality. In this role, you will maintain, manage and monitor the regulatory compliance and supervisory program for MSEC.
If you are looking to build your career with a nationally ranked firm that puts the client first by providing 360° advice designed to last and that is committed to being there for everything life brings our clients’ way, then consider joining the . We actively nurture the next generation of professionals, give back to the community and have a diverse culture where associates genuinely love where they work and receive the support they need to grow and meet their career goals.
- Accountable to the President of MSEC in managing the broker-dealer and its various business lines and compliance professionals to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations and continually enhance the effectiveness of the overall compliance program.
- Lead the compliance program on behalf of MSEC and manage all facets of regulatory compliance including Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and other federal and state regulations as they apply to Sales, Supervision and Oversight of MSEC, including but not limited to the following:
- Responsible for overall supervision of the broker-dealer, including oversight of supervisory structure and supervisory principals, registered representatives and back office professionals.
- Conduct research and collaborate with team members and outside consultants as necessary in order to interpret new and existing regulations as mandated, including, but not limited to, changes to regulatory requirements and SEC or FINRA examination focus items.
- Responsible for oversight of all direct business lines (variable annuities, 529s, mutual funds), and institutional fixed income, including oversight of supervisory principals supervising each area of business.
- Preparation and/or review of required regulatory reporting and assisting with other elements of the compliance program, as applicable.
- Recommend, draft and implement changes to all relevant Policies and Procedures/Written Supervisory Procedures based upon regulatory requirements, industry practices and established internal controls, including Chinese Walls, AML, CIP, BCP, insider trading and personal account handling, disclosures, email surveillance, branch audits and operations. Assist the business in its stated goals and objectives. Participate in the process to maintain policies and procedures.
- Identify deficiencies in compliance processes and procedures that may lead to internal and/or regulatory noncompliance and assist with resolving any deficiencies and/or issues found.
- Conduct compliance training and update personnel on compliance issues.
- Conduct business practice reviews as needed and investigate sales practice concerns as they arise. Serve as point person for internal investigations and recommend disciplinary action, as needed.
- Manage all aspects of regulatory examinations of MSEC and accountable for the successful navigation of the examination process and resolution of any noted issues or deficiencies.
- Manage projects associated with development of new business lines, as applicable, including providing expertise and advice and managing consideration of regulatory impacts, process changes and FINRA approval requirements.
- Provide leadership, direction, counsel and oversight for compliance issues surrounding the business to individuals within the broader Mariner Wealth Advisors organization.
- Identify, assess and manage compliance risks driven by legislation, regulation, customer requirements and industry trends, including impact assessment of the risks to our products, market position and operations.
Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods and coordination of people and resources preferred.
- Experience with compliance monitoring technology, processes and systems, including processes to make improvements or take corrective action, within a registered broker-dealer.
- Experience with process and project management and implementation.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy and thorough in carrying out all job-related responsibilities.
- Extremely strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills and ability to effectively prioritize responsibilities.
- Ability to build and maintain professional relationships with internal team members and other departments and business leaders.
- Proactive problem solving, strong analytical skills and critical thinking abilities.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems; to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions, considering the implications of all options (benefits, costs and risk factors) and being able to determine the most appropriate solution.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of related experience in operations and compliance functions with a broker-dealer
- Securities License 7, 24, 53
- Experience working with or for FINRA or the SEC
We welcome your interest in being a part of the Mariner Wealth Advisors team. We offer associates an innovative and challenging place to work with camaraderie and teamwork. We have a growth-oriented, entrepreneurial culture that respects people and values talent, experience and ambition.