Job Title: Chief Engineer
Supervision Exercised: Engineers
Supervision Received: General Manager
The Chief Engineer is Responsible for the preventive and corrective maintenance of the entire hotel property, interior and exterior, and the development, execution and follow-though of the hotel work order system. This individual manages and oversees the department in accordance with standards and guidelines established by the hotels.
• Ensure all required repairs and maintenance performed on all hotels equipment and assets as scheduled or requested by guests, housekeeping, and /or management. Such duties could consist of HVAC, plumbing, an electrical repairs, and furniture replacement and/or repair etc.
• Perform preventive maintenance on hotels equipment and assets per set schedule.
• Perform daily walk through, record all meter readings and boiler temperature.
• Develop and maintain effective work order and other paperwork systems.
• Hire, train, supervise, coach and counsel Engineering employees.
• Schedule team members, taking into consideration expected guest arrivals and departures, occupancy levels, guest service needs and budgetary guidelines.
• Work with the General Manager on maintain and facilitate effective training programs.
• Ensure that Engineering employees are properly uniformed and are following all hotel procedures.
• Ensure that all operations of Engineering equipment and procedures are understood and performed safely in accordance with company guidelines and government regulations.
• Assume responsibility for implementation of policies and procedures set by the hotels.
• Provide written details of work performed on Work Order forms and other documents.
• Record all maintenance request work performed in the log program and return request to proper location.
• Assemble weekly and Period Summary Maintenance Reports and identify and track trends in order to anticipate future work projects and costs.
• Provide feedback to management and owners on specific maintenance and repair needs.
• Administer Safety Training programs.
• Know hotels emergency procedures and where all emergency shut-offs are located. Assist hotel Guests when necessary in case of an emergency.
• Facilitates all Emergency response Training and Safety Training for all hotel employees.
• Budget, plan, schedule, coordinate and supervise Capital Expenditure projects
• Perform special projects assigned a time set for each project.
• Support environmental commitments by having the knowledge, skills and values to be a leader in the global goal of “greening” the hospitality industry.
• Watch for safety hazard.
• Be ready and willing to complete the job as necessary.
• Be an example to all employees.
• Educate all staff on health and safety procedures and policies.
• High School Graduate or Equivalent
• HVAC Certification
• Has thorough knowledge and understanding of general repairs and maintenance.
• Proven track record working with information technology systems.
• Experience with fire and life safety systems.
• Working knowledge of electrical, plumbing, HVAC and refrigeration.
• Must posses excellent interpersonal and communication skills written and verbal. Will be interfacing with guests and homeowners to provide efficient and effective results as related repairs and maintenance.
• Maintains a close working relationship with employees and department heads from all areas of hotel operations.
• The position is on call 24 hours a day. One must be flexible to work long hours to ensure the smooth operation of the engineering department.
• This position requires the ability to communicate and make sound judgment calls when evaluating problems and situations in order to expedite the resolution
• Working knowledge of:
a. Air Conditioning and Heating
b. Plumbing codes
c. Electrical codes
d. National/Local fire codes
e. Mechanical codes
f. Swimming Pool Maintenance
g. Blue Prints and Plumbing Schematics