Location: Bethel/Anchorage AK
Pay Range: $120,000 - $180,000/DOE
ASSOCIATION OF VILLAGE COUNCIL PRESIDENTS
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is responsible for the organization’s overall financial plans and policies as well as its financial and accounting practices and compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Governmental Accounting Standards.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as a team member on the Executive Team of AVCP
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership and teamwork within the Finance department
- Participate with the administrative team, CEO and Executive Board to further the strategic direction of the organization
- Create and establish yearly financial objectives and deliverable documents that align with the organization’s growth plan
- Serves as the lead negotiator in any fiscal negotiations on behalf of the company
- Develop with the administrative team an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that further the strategic direction of the organization in a way that improves the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization
- Support implementation of policies and procedures that improve the operation of the organization
- Identify, acquire and implement systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information
- Assess and evaluate financial performance of the organization regarding short-term and long-term goals, budgets and forecasts.
- Prepare and present timely financial reports including Statement of Financial Position, Statement of Activities (including budget v actual), Statement of Functional Expenses, and Statement of Cash Flows
- Review and analyze financial results and provide recommendations
- Working with the administrative team develop and maintain periodic and annual operating budgets
- Supervise creation of reports, software implementation and tools for accounting, budgeting and forecasting
- Remain current on accounting and governmental standards, audit best practices and local, state and federal laws related to the organization.
- Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures
- Serve as the key point of contact for external auditors and manage preparation and support of all external audits.
- Oversee the preparation and timely filing of all local, state, and federal tax returns
- Work with Human Resources and the Legal department to ensure appropriate legal compliance
- Oversee cash, investments and asset management.
- BA in Accounting or Finance or related field required
- Certified Public Accountant, preferred
- 10 or more years’ direct experience working with tribes, tribal organizations and with states’ and federal agencies required
- Previous non-profit experience required
- 5 or more years’ direct experience as a CFO or Controller required
- Knowledge of the Yup’ik culture
- Knowledge of the tribes, tribal organizations and villages of the region of the Y-K Delta
- Knowledge of business functions such as HR, Finance, Information Technology, Compliance
- Knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Knowledge of organizational management with the ability to coach staff
- Yup’ik speaking, preferred
- Word processing
- Financial management
Personal characteristics and competence reflecting:
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Ethical Behavior: Understand ethical business and interpersonal behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Relationship Building: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Effective Communication: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organization’s parameters.
- Ability to Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Leadership: Ability to positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Decision-making: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organizational Skills: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities
- Managing Planning: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Problem Solving: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Strategic Thinking: Assess options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and in tune with the vision and values of the organization.
All qualified candidates who meet or exceed the above Position Qualifications or have relevant experience will be contacted.
AES provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. While working within the parameters of an Alaska Native Organization, hiring preference will be given to shareholders/spouses/descendants and other Alaska Natives in accordance with Public Law 93-638.
AES matches job seekers with opportunities in which they are recognized and rewarded for their experience, skills and abilities. AES is proud to be an Alaskan-owned company building relationships on integrity and trust since 1977. Our Services are always FREE to candidates.
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED