POSITION TITLE: Chief Marketing Officer
REPORTING TO:Chief Executive Officer
LOCATION: American Fork, Utah
KT Tape is a dynamic consumer products company focused in the sports and athletic lifestyles markets with a unique set of products and capabilities having global appeal to amateur athletes in nearly every sport, a marquis position in competitive professional sports, that has experienced explosive growth.
Based on proprietary technologies, the company has the opportunity to grow both a branded and private label product portfolio that can be sold in nearly 200,000 doors in the retail big box, specialty sporting goods, national drug chains, and other retail market channels on a global basis. The company also has an emerging eCommerce and direct to consumer channel that for some products may become a primary growth engine as well as through on line eTailers.
The company has broad distribution and representation in the US, Canada, the UK, and Latin America from an overall retail chain representation perspective, but has a significant opportunity to expand within each retailer. From an international markets perspective the company has enormous opportunity to leverage established beach-heads in Mexico, Brazil, and Japan to grow revenues and presence across Latin America, Europe, and Asia respectively with a clear short term expansion opportunity in continental Europe and elsewhere across Latin America. Current sales are broken down as between 65-85% domestic US/Canada; 15-25% other international, with less than 5% of total sales coming from its own eCommerce channel on a global basis.
The company enjoys a dominant retail position in the US and Canada with over an 80 share of market. Future growth will rely on marketing initiatives to expand category growth and for expanding the brand into adjacent categories. A robust pipeline of product innovation has been developed and is expected to deliver the next phase of this growth. In addition, KT Tape's official athlete endorsements including Olympic gold-medalist Kerri Walsh-Jennings have contributed significantly to the success of the brand. Successful activation of these and additional athlete endorsements coupled with the upcoming 2021 Tokyo Olympics represent critical opportunities to accelerate the growth trajectory of the business.
As a result of this near horizon growth opportunity, globalization of the business, and intended expansion of the product portfolio, the business requires a new CMO with demonstrated capability to strategically lead the organization with the consumer at the forefront to deliver meaningful brand and product differentiation. Importantly, the business must compete effectively globally, market on a multi-channel basis, and continue its innovation legacy into a broader and deeper product portfolio to serve the amateur and professional competitive sports marketplace. Success will enable the company to expand to well over $100MM in global revenues in a two to four year period.
OWNERSHIP STRUCTURE/FINANCIAL SPONSOR:
KT Tape is majority owned and controlled by a consumer-focused private equity firm, Palladin Consumer Retail Partners, who bought their stake in 2014. As an established private equity firm dedicated to the consumer products and retail sectors, Palladin has a demonstrated long term history of financial support and strategic advisement resulting in wealth creation for all involved parties that contribute to the success of the investment.
This focused approach by Palladin allows for greater depth of expertise and capability in the consumer products and retail domain providing the portfolio companies not only with financial capital, but as importantly thought leadership and true discussion partnership in developing growth, expansion, and innovation strategies. On a tactical and practical basis, knowledge of and relationships with the retail channel also provide portfolio companies with an entre into markets that would be more challenging to penetrate without this "assist".
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Chief Marketing Officer will be a thought leader and brand builder who has a solid analytical orientation and knows how to drive a business. He/she will be comfortable working in an entrepreneurial environment where his/her initiatives will have a visible and immediate impact on the business. The successful candidate will have primary responsibility for developing and implementing a long-term brand strategy that executes KT Tape's annual plan, builds sales and achieves annual EBITDA targets. He/she will be highly visible member of KT Tape and a key strategic business partner to the CEO. The CMO will play a significant role on the senior executive team with routine interactions at the Board level, whose members place significant importance on the role of CMO.
- Develops and manages a long-term brand strategy that is executed in annual plans. Plans effectively and adjusts as circumstances require.
- Leads the company in using data and analytics to understand results and chart future actions. Helps provide data in a way that is leverageable in overall decision making and by the Sales team.
- Leads and develops direct reports.
- Works judiciously with resources typical of a company KT's size.
- Ability to motivate and manage creative resources. Motivates external resources to pursue bigger ideas and build new successes. Values creative thinking.
- Identifies potential new customers and monitors competitive trends and reviews new technologies with potential impact on the business.
- Represents the company in its relationships, alliances, and partnerships with major customers, prospects and professional associations.
- Collaborates with the CEO and Executive Team to set strategic direction for all marketing programs; maintain strong and functional interdepartmental communications and relationships.
- Builds and leads a world class team which excels in all facets of marketing including retail, creative services, product, branding, online and consumer insights.
- Leads the organization in developing an integrated marketing plan that covers new media such as web, social media, online video, email marketing, PR strategy along with traditional media such as print, direct mail, infomercials and TV advertising.
- Ensures all marketing assets are on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience for all channels of content including online, social media, email, point of purchase, mobile, video, print and in-person.
- Works closely with the product development teams to define the right product and go-to-market strategy. Responsible for defining the consumer target, product requirements, product positioning, packaging and pricing strategy.
- Defines the customer journey that covers every touch point encompassing initial product awareness, purchase, usage experience, customer service and experience with KT Tape.
- Develops an integrated product launch plan that leverages PR, social media, web and in-store marketing to drive world class product launches.
The successful candidate must be a business leader with the ability to execute and operationalize plans which result in increased sales, while increasing customer satisfaction, and developing innovative product offerings which broaden existing relationships while capturing the attention of potential new customers.
- 15 years of relevant experience and a successful track record as a proactive leader.
- Classical marketing experience early in his/her career, with promotion to positions of increasingly greater responsibility.
- Knows how to drive a business. Harnesses an action orientation to the strategic vision to accomplish positive results.
- Experience in a fast-paced consumer products company with strong brand recognition. Sports Marketing and Event experience a plus.
- A strategic leader. Leads peers and staff to new thinking and new solutions and is a key partner with the CEO on guiding the company's strategy.
- Must be a proven strategist who is capable of combining the analytical and creative aspects of marketing into a comprehensive, results-oriented program; able to present and defend his/her plans and proposals to the company's overall management
- Executional excellence. Can translate ideas into execution with consistent strength. Must execute what is agreed to. Can train, motivate and delegate those around him/her to achieve great execution.
- Personal Care experience or other CPG experience. Has basic understanding of packaging, pricing, marketing research and new products development.
- Proven track record of successfully growing a business and strong leadership.
- Ability to develop new and creative ideas that will assist in sales and profitability
KEY PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:
The successful candidate will be a demonstrated team-builder, with the ability to attract and motivate a dynamic marketing team. While professionally goal-oriented and highly committed, the individual will have a sense of humor and enjoy his/her work and colleagues. He/she will also be comfortable in a fluid, entrepreneurial environment.
Specifically, he/she will have and/or be:
- Able to prioritize and demonstrate passion for the consumer and employees.
- Can work in a smaller company culture'ideally has been in a small company before in some way and has a bias for action. Understands and embraces "player/coach" mentality. Willing to roll up their sleeves to actively engage in the development and execution of plans.
- Aligns the resources to organically grow revenue while building a high-performing team. Delegates appropriately and gives appropriate rewards/recognition.
- Has an analytical curiosity. A solid results orientation that leads to proactively setting objectives, evaluating results, and setting new actions for the future.
- A creative and entrepreneurial thinker who values and inspires the same in others.
- Possession of excellent verbal and presentation skills as well as ability to be a good listener, whether engaged with management team members, customers, or the employees.
- Will exhibit confidence stemming from a depth of knowledge and an overall positive attitude. He/she will be persistent, tenacious, driven, and focused. Should inspire others by his/her enthusiasm and sense of urgency.
- Will have uncompromised personal integrity and uphold the highest moral and ethical business practices.
- Undergraduate degree required with preferred marketing or business concentrations.
- MBA preferred.