This person will be a member of the Executive Committee and lead a team of approximately 150 people including 4-5 direct reports: Director of Global Supply Chain, Director of Production/Engineering, Director of Regulatory, Director of Quality and potentially the Director of Technology.
We are seeking an outstanding and dynamic Chief Operating Officer who has experience managing business operations including manufacturing, production, supply chain, quality, regulatory and technology. You’ll be joining an organization that already has great brands, strong products, and a solid team. Reporting directly to the President, this position will be responsible for designing and implementing business strategies, plans, and procedures. The Chief Operating Office will establish and update all operational policies and procedures to ensure the Company is efficient and effective in achieving all business goals. The Chief Operating Officer acts as a liaison between the operations management team and the President. We are looking for someone with excellent people skills, who values the importance of maintaining a culture where employees excel and feel valued.
Your track record should include 2-3 roles where you led your team through significant volume growth, improved operating efficiencies, and maintained the highest quality products. In at least one of these roles, you’ll have reported to the CEO/President/owner/founder and transitioned your expertise in helping lead operations for a large consumer products company to leading the operations organization of an entrepreneurial or smaller company.
- Interact seamlessly with the President and Executive Team to understand strategic priorities and creatively identify plans to accomplish short and long-term operational goals.
- Provide day-to-day leadership, oversight and management to all operational departments to meet business goals and projections.
- Develop, implement, execute and analyze business strategies, plans and procedures for operations and supply chain strategy to compliment overall corporate strategic direction, company financial objectives and customer expectations.
- Measure and report on operational performance and develop plans to improve relevant key performance indicators. Establish productivity goals and ensure these are being met. Build, provide, and adhere to budgets for each of the functional areas under supervision.Update the executive team on key operational metrics. Ensure all metrics are met.
- Develop supplier contract and comprehensive bid process for suppliers and outside contract manufacturers. Assess efficiencies and any risk in supply chain.
- Develop and execute SOP’s for various areas including but not limited to: in-house manufacturing. 3rd party vendor relationships, outside co- packer’s procedure, forecasting and overall fulfillment
- Oversee Quality and Regulatory to ensure we are meeting all GMP, FDA and other regulatory requirements. Meet all Safety, Health and Quality Standards. Maintain operations that comply with all Federal and State regulatory agencies and internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Potential to oversee Technology by setting objectives and strategy for the IT department to ensure suitable technology is implemented to streamline all internal operations and help optimize their strategic benefits. Potentially oversee the selection and implementation of a new ERP system.
- Develop and maintain a culture of continuous improvement through innovative and inspirational leadership and full involvement of staff across all levels of the company. Implement and maintain best business practices identifying areas to increase efficiency/margins and reduce costs.
- Develop long-term strategic capital plan to support the company’s business strategy and manage capital projects.
- Create and execute policies and programs to maximize capacity and ensure highest quality at lowest costs.
- Provide innovative and inspirational leadership. Manage conflicting priorities of the operation team.
Functional Leadership and Development:
- Attract, manage and retain high caliber talent to ensure bench strength.
- Develop cohesive team through leading, teaching and mentoring. Ensure the very best talent is on the team.
- Ensure cross functional team is working together to deliver company initiatives.
- Contribute to overall achievement by accomplishing related tasks and demonstrating characteristics that exemplify team building and support.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge of the team by attending educational events, reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional groups, etc.
- Satisfactory completion of appropriate corporate training as related to the position and/or department.
- Assure all compliance issues are being followed in the department’s activities, e.g. cGMPs, SOX, ISO and Corporate Ethics policy.
- Establish standards for raw material and finished goods testing along with appropriate action plans
- Experience with devising testing methods, manufacturing methods and procedures
- Be an active advocate for the operations team (Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Regulatory, Quality and potentially Technology) while also delivering on the output, safety, and quality levels needed to help achieve the Company’s mission.
- Be a resourceful self-starter comfortable with multi-tasking and managing multiple priorities.
- Strong passion and knowledge of the Natural Channel and Nutritional Supplements.
- Continually challenge the status quo, attitude of continual improvement.
- Entrepreneurial style with "rolled-up-sleeves" work ethic without an ego that needs to be continually reinforced.
- Ability to analyze business situations granularly and grandly (ability to shift altitudes between strategy and tactics).
- A problem solver not a problem presenter.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create results-driven team-oriented environment. Must provide constant motivation plus help forge greater cross functional partnerships to ensure better collaboration and alignment on company objectives.
- Cannot be someone who prefers hierarchical dictatorial environments.
- Engaging and supportive leader who is viewed with confidence and respect.
- High integrity, strong work ethic and ability to work hands-on.
- High energy, enthusiastic, focused, determined. Constant drive for results.
- Sharp, motivated, confident, and passionate.
Experience and Skills:
- 10+ years operations experience in pharmaceuticals, or nutraceuticals
- Must have experience leading several departments-manufacturing, purchasing, quality, and regulatory.
- Ability to grow and enhance the business through operational processes, employee and staff capabilities, and financial performance
- Preferred nutraceutical experience
- Experience leading, motivating and developing large teams
- Proven track record of strategic planning and to help drive revenue and reduce costs
- Excellent written communication skills; articulate speaker and good listener at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- Excellent analytical and financial skills. Must have managed P&L.
- Must be strong in excel and Microsoft office
- Highly effective third-party vendor management
- Excited about joining a strong culture and opportunity to help shape the company
Education and Certifications:
- Master’s degree in business, Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences or Chemistry