Join the #1 hospital in Wisconsin!
We are seeking a Child Life Specialist to:
- Provide evidence-based, developmentally appropriate interventions including therapeutic play, preparation, and education to reduce fear, anxiety and pain.
- Prepare patients and families for upcoming admission, procedure or surgery utilizing developmentally supportive teaching tools and resources.
- Provide introduction to hospital or healthcare environment and discuss what to expect during stays, making the environment child-friendly and unique to each child’s needs.
- Encourage opportunities for play and self-expression in order to help patients of all ages and their siblings cope with the hospital or medical experiences.
Minimum - Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Child Life, Child Development or a related field
Preferred - Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Child Life, Child Development or a related field
Minimum - Completion of a Child Life internship with a minimum of 480 hours in a pediatric health care setting
Preferred - At least two (2) years related experience working with children and adolescents in a hospital setting. Paid clinical experience.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Certified as a Child Life Specialist by the Association for Child Life Professionals (ACLP), or certification in progress with ability to obtain this credential within one year from date of hire
- CPR certification or attain certification within three (3) months of hire
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and an ability to use various computer programs such as word processing, database, spreadsheet, calendar and email
- Effective verbal and written communications skills
Light: Ability to lift up to 20 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
70% FTE, 28 hours per week. Work schedule varies based on department need for gaps in schedule due to LOA's, extended vacation times, and sick calls.
American Family Children’s Hospital in Madison, Wisconsin—also a Magnet®-designated facility—provides specialized care in a healing environment designed especially for pediatric patients and their families. American Family Children’s Hospital is a comprehensive pediatric medical and surgical center ranked among the top 50 children’s hospitals in six medical and surgical specialties, with nationally recognized pediatric specialists in a wide range of fields. It is also home to our Level One Pediatric Trauma Center and Level IV NICU, which cares for the tiniest patients throughout Wisconsin and beyond.
Learn more about this opening
UW Health values and embraces diversity and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.