The Child Life Specialist is responsible for the provision of child life focused care to children and their families served in a variety of health care settings. Individualized, therapeutic interventions are facilitated through collaboration with the patient, family, and health care team members. The choice of play outlets, educational approaches, and emotional support are built upon a strong foundation child life theory and expertise gained through ongoing practice experiences and intentional commitment to ongoing child life education. The child life specialist functions as an integral partner of the health care team, facilitating patient- and family-centered support and advocating and enabling psychosocially sound practices across the continuum of care.CCLS I - Proficient Practice: The child life specialist practicing at this level is applying skills and knowledge obtained through her/his internship, previous employment, or obtained during period since employment at Baystate Health System. This clinician requires ongoing direct education and mentoring by senior child life specialists and health care team colleagues. This description covers the essential functions of the position. The incumbent is expected to perform similar and related duties as assigned. The Child Life & Healing Arts Manager is responsible for ensuring that the child life specialist consistently meets the necessary behaviors
1) Anticipates, initiates, and responds collaboratively to provide developmentally appropriate procedural teaching for patients and families utilizing available resources.
2) Identifies patient/family learning needs, readiness to learn and choices. Meets patient/family needs by using appropriate internal/external educational resources. Recognizes and respects consequences of patient/family decisions.
3) Recognizes, addresses, and utilizes therapeutic play to facilitate mastery and coping.
4) Assists patient/family in identifying concerns and seeks assistance as necessary to advocate for patient/family needs.
5) Completes Minimum Requirements and Additional Responsibilities at CCLS I, Proficient Level- from the Clinical Recognition Program listing
Required Work Experience:
1) Child Life Internship & completion of Child Life Orientation at BCH; preferred
2) Child Life Specialist Certification required, or certification eligible and must pass exam within 12 months of hire (at a lower level).
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Must be able to balance a wide variety of patient/family/program needs to best address an individualized plan of care for patients seen on the inpatient units, in the Pedi ED, Special Procedures, Radiology or other areas where Child Life Services are provided
2) Must communicate positively with patients/families & staff
3) Must be highly engaged with child life role and bring an energetic, professional demeanor to each encounter
Bachelor of Arts (Required)
Child Life Specialist - Association of Child Life Professionals
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
About Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
+ Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
+ Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
+ Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
+ Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
+ Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield