About the Program:
Since it's inception in 1990 during the cocaine epidemic, LA BioMed/Options for Recovery has been in the business of helping women recover from alcohol and drug use to unite them with their children and family. Options for Recovery is a part of the Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute (LA BioMed) at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.
LA BioMed/Options for Recovery’s mission is to provide comprehensive resource, education, support and recovery services to alcohol and drug abusing women 18 years old and older. We specialize with working with pregnant and parenting women by assisting them with their sobriety and process to reunite with their children through DCFS (Department of Children and Family Services).
- GED or equivalent work experience
- 1 + years experience working with young children. Experience working with substance abusing families highly desirable
- Ability to work well under pressure, meet multiple and sometimes conflicting deadlines and interact professionally.
- Classes in, and knowledge of, child development and early childhood education and past training in developmentally appropriate center-based childcare highly desired
Description of Duties:
- Assist the Childcare Coordinator in the overall operation of the child care program, attend & productively participate in meetings.
- Plan & implement the daily curriculum. Provide care & developmental activities for infants & children both individually & in small groups.
- Complete all necessary documentation including daily notes, behavior checklists, etc. Serve as model to parents
- Manage typical child behavior problems (e.g. tantrums) & demonstrate to parents effective methods of interacting with children; provide feedback to parents regarding their children’s behavior development, nutritional & medical needs, be supportive of parent’s efforts in changing interaction patterns; provide mommy helpers with positive feedback & instruction.
- Assist supervisor in maintaining optimum treatment environment including, but not limited to, laundry, general cleaning, and aftercare.
- Facilitate hands on projects, arts/crafts that promote mother-child attachment and children’s social development. Examples: art projects, craft assignments, kid friendly projects, suggestions of fun sober ideas for recovering clientele, singing songs, etc.
13.25 an hour with benefits. 32 hours a week.