As a primary contact for Safeway customers, the China Express Cook provides friendly, courteous and helpful service. Responsible for preparation, quality and quantity of food prepared in the China Express area of the delicatessen. Obtains supplies from storage, cooler, or freezer area. Cleans shelves, range tops, work area, and dishes. Uses pots, pans, woks, and other cooking implements to prepare and cook food. Follows recipes for items being prepared. Mixes and prepares sauces and other seasoning and adds to dishes at the appropriate time. Places prepared items in China Express cases in delicatessen. Removes boxes and other trash from area.
* Provide customer service as currently defined by the employer within the scope of the position and within company policy.
* Follows recipes to prepare and cook food.
* Cuts, chops, slices, and cleans meat and produce in preparation for cooking.
* Assists with service at the counter as needed.
* Maintains cleanliness of food preparation area.
* Retrieves supplies from storage areas, coolers, and freezers.
* Train and coach china express cooks in all food preparation, food handling, food safety, equipment operation requirement and regulations.
* Other duties as assigned.
JOB RELATED QUALIFICATIONS:
* Ability to follow company customer service procedures. Demonstrated prior customer service skills or related experience.
* Ability to interact with customers and co-workers.
* Ability to read prices, forms, recipes, and tags.
* Ability to work independently when necessary.
* Ability to understand and follow directions.
* Desired: Knowledge of authentic Chinese cooking and techniques.
* Desired: Prior supervisory skills.
Varies depending on store location and state/county requirements.
%Inside: 100% Outside: Rare
Temperature Extremes: Frequent. May be hot in cooking area. Exposure to freezer and cooler. Chemicals: Seldom (mild detergents or glass cleaner).
MACHINES, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT:
scale, measuring cups, spoons, pots, pans, woks, range tops, ovens, microwave, hand truck , box cutter, pens and pencils, grocery cartS. six-wheel cart, spray bottle, rags, mops, brooms, knives, forks, spoons and other utensils, slicer, grinder, bailer
Constant (over 70% of the time)
Constantly lifts 1-20 lbs. Occasionally lifts 21-50 lbs.
Constantly carries 1-10 lbs. Frequently carries 11-20 lbs. Seldom carries 21-50 lbs.
Pushing / Pulling:
Constantly pushes/pulls 1-20 lbs. Frequently pushes/pulls 21-35 lbs. Seldom pushes/pulls 36-50 lbs.
Constant knee to shoulder reaching. Occasional overhead and at or above shoulder level reaching.
Constant standing while on job. Sitting allowed on breaks.
Constant walking while on the job.
Seldom. May use step stool to reach upper shelves.
Constant neck rotation while preparing food. Frequent bending of head, bending/stooping, and twisting. Occasional crouching and squatting. Seldom kneeling.
Constant handling/grasping of utensils, pots and pans, and food items. Constant fine finger manipulation when slicing small items. Constant repetitive motion when slicing.
Use of peripheral vision and depth perception to move around crowded food preparation area. Near vision used to slice and prepare foods, operate dangerous machines, and to use sharp knives. Use of color vision to determine freshness of ingredients and assess the progress of the cooking process.
To converse with other employees, assist customers, answer pages, receive instructions and information from other employees.
To converse with customers, assist customers, answer questions, and conduct business. To give instructions and information to other employees.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled