The Southern Illinoisan in Carbondale, Illinois is seeking to fill an executive level position that directs the print and digital subscription distribution and audience development for the company and assists the Publisher in the execution of his or her duties.
The position reports directly to the assigned Regional Director of Consumer Sales and Marketing with a dotted line reporting relationship to The Southern Illinoisan Publisher. The individual will be responsible for providing direction on the acquisition and retention of subscribers, distribution of the printed newspaper, leadership of a team of employees aimed at growing audience, coordination of audience growth efforts with other departments, and other supervisory duties, as assigned.
Essential Job Duties/Responsibilities/Accountabilities:
- Grow and maintain subscription revenue, both print and digital, through developing local audiences and implementation of corporate initiatives including planning and forecasting audience and revenue.
- Direct organization of independent contractors in providing high levels of consistent customer service.
- Optimize resources to provide acceptable levels of service and performance for controlling expenses and managing to budgeted levels.
- Provide clear departmental direction to achieve goals through management of day to day operations.
- Develop professional skills in departmental employees through selection, hiring, training, coaching and motivation.
- Maintains or oversees accurate record keeping including Alliance for Audited Media (AAM) reporting, tracking of expenses and performance of staff.
- Prepare, own, and track revenue and expense budget each fiscal year and provide ongoing forecasting for the department.
- Assists Publisher in coordination of audience initiatives with other departments.
- Ensure compliance with all Lee Enterprises policies and procedures.
- Other job duties as assigned.
- Four year college or university program certificate and two to five years’ experience in a subscription-driven industry.
- PC skills including word processing, excel, and the ability to use proprietary data base and payroll systems.
- Requires basic mathematical skills and the ability to compute and interpret data.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to follow instructions both written and oral, and to solve problems with multiple variables.
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret and write reports and effectively present information to employees and the public.
- Valid driver’s license and current automobile insurance.
The Southern Illinoisan (http://thesouthern.com) and Lee Enterprises, Inc. (www.lee.net) are Equal Opportunity Employers.