Position: Civic Practice Leader, Principal
Location: Open to candidate preference in one of the following HMC California Office locations: Ontario, California Corporate office; Los Angeles Design Studio; Sacramento Design Studio; San Jose Design Studio; or San Diego Design Studio.
Reporting to the Chief Practice Officer, the Civic Practice Leader is a recognized and respected industry leader who has overall firmwide responsibility for the success of HMC’s Civic practice, which is a core market at HMC Architects. In their role as the firms ‘Thought Leader’, the Practice Leader (PL) is the face of HMC both outside and within HMC related to their core market.
Outside of HMC, the PL will be proactively involved as a committee member or officer in both market and industry organizations and as a frequent attendee of their events related to the core market. The PL will also be a frequent and regular presenter at conferences, conventions and other venues in order to communicate HMC’s knowledge within the core market. The PL will also prepare, assist in preparing or cause to be prepared, written documentation for publication in market or industry related journals.
Within HMC, the PL will direct the development of all strategies and procedures for the core market in support of HMC’s Strategic Plan, including understanding the market future trajectory and creating unique ideas and competencies for HMC to maintain and increase its leadership in the market. The PL’s direct reports will include core market industry professionals, specialists and business development leads for each studio as determined. The PL will mentor and monitor the PIC’s in the strategic development of the core market and in pursuit of clients and projects to increase the market leadership position and revenue base of the core market. Upon selection by the client, the PL will work closely with the PIC’s in maintaining client satisfaction and target profitability. The PL will work closely with the SVP Operations, Managing Principals, Chief Design Officer and SVP of Marketing to ensure appropriate staff, both technical and non-technical, and other specific resources are available for support of core market work opportunities and to establish and maintain uniformly high-quality design and production standards within their core market. The PL will also work with the Chief Practice Officer, other PL’s and PIC’s in other markets, as appropriate, in support of HMC’s Strategic Plan. The PL will be responsible for the practice budget for marketing, conference attendance, contributions and sponsorships, and public relations oversight related to their market, working closely with HMC marketing staff and consultants. The PL will promote the importance and value of design.
Position Requirements and Responsibilities:
• Education: Minimum Bachelor’s degree in architecture or planning as appropriate to the health care market. Master’s degree or greater in related discipline preferred.
• Credentials: Registered professional in good standing with appropriate governing authority (PE, AIA, AICP, etc.) required.
• Experience: Minimum 10 years of architectural background experience in progressively responsible positions as a programmer, planner, designer, project manager or related position within the civic market. Project types include government workplace, police and fire facilities, libraries, courthouses and other public buildings.
• A proven track record of leadership in attracting, developing and retaining talented staff who deliver results particular to the specific core practice area of civic projects.
• Successful experience in marketing professional services and business development, with a demonstrated track record of winning key projects and expanding revenue base within the civic practice area.
• Demonstrates strong verbal and written skills.
• Demonstrates the ability to facilitate group discussions for clients and for the firm.
• Demonstrates the ability to write, publish, and present on practice related topics.
• Proved experience in public speaking events in various forums, including client engagements.
• Develops effective communication networks within the firm and the market.
• Works to enhance communication, coordination and cooperation of all core practitioners resulting in a cohesive unit comprised of multiple offices.
• Demonstrates truthfulness, sincerity, and integrity in communications.
Leadership & Teamwork
• Promote the importance and value of design within and outside HMC.
• Lead the creation and implementation of core market strategies in support of HMC’s Strategic Plan.
• Lead the business development activities in support of the core market goals.
• Mentor PIC’s with their responsibilities and professional development.
• Manage and mentor the ML, Industry Leader and specialists with their responsibilities and professional development.
• Provide internal workshops, written advisories, and other methods of presentation to members of the firm on relevant topics.
• Manage and mentor other professionals within the core market as required.
• Demonstrate strong organizational skills.
• Provide input and guidance to the various leadership groups across markets at HMC.
• Work effectively as part of a team and contribute as a team member.
• Demonstrate the ability to assemble and develop an effective team of people.
• Collaborate and cooperate with the office/firm leadership in the development of strategic initiatives.
• Conduct personnel administration effectively and efficiently.
• Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in response to all PIC and client needs in all offices and geographic locations.
• Demonstrates the ability to work in a variety of settings and locations.
• Contributes insight into the emerging trends in the market.
• Demonstrates the ability to adjust market strategies to meet the needs of all offices.
• Participates in advocacy groups within the market.
• Maintain high industry profile by participation in and leadership of key projects.
• Contributes thought leadership and insight to the strategic direction of the core market.
• Proactively participates in programming, planning or design on projects.
• Proactively participates on projects as part of specific project teams.
• Performs the role of PIC as required to develop client relationships.
• Assist in establishing revenue goals for core market and develops/implements strategic plan to include identifying market opportunities in order to achieve revenue goals.
• Consults with clients on key core market issues and initiatives.
• Provides leadership for market administration and business development planning.
• Represents the firm at key industry, professional organizations and client events.
• Consults with key local, county and state leaders within the market.
• Conducts presentations and workshops at key conferences.
• Writes and publishes on relevant topics.
• Organizes and maintains a work schedule that supports the goals of the local offices and the firm in support of HMC’s Strategic Plan and business plan / goals.
• Requires minimal supervision.
• Demonstrates a high degree of motivation for the work and produces a high volume of work.
• Establish and maintain a uniformly high quality of design efforts and production within the core market.
• Supports project teams in the development of client-focused design solutions.
• Conducts client inventories to identify project concerns and areas for improvement.
• Provides advisories to the PIC’s within all offices regarding market performance.
• Remains current on relevant market-based issues, trends and legislation.
• Demonstrates expertise in support of project teams.
• Demonstrates innovation within the