Under the direction of the Director of Civil and Environmental Engineering department within Facilities Operations and working collaboratively with various university departments the Civil Engineer will be responsible for implementation of an array of projects associated with the development, installation, rehabilitation and maintenance of 200 miles of underground utilities and four million square feet of roadways, walkways and plazas. Utility systems that fall under the department’s responsibility include steam, condensate return, chilled water, electrical, information technology, water lines, sanitary sewer, storm sewer and detention basins.
**This is a five year term benefits eligible position.
- Civil Construction Project Management – Primary responsibility is managing civil engineering projects completed by the University’s in-house civil construction department and various outside consultants to ensure that each project is completed in a timely fashion, within budget and is in accordance the design documents.
- Stewardship of Underground Utilities - Responsible implementing and daily management of an asset tracking program for the university’s underground utilities.
- Quality Assurance Program Management – Oversees and manages quality assurance program for all civil construction performed by outside contractors on capital projects. Responsible for ensuring adherence to University construction standards, and for proper installation of al underground utilities.
- Technical Resource - Perform technical review of plans and specifications of all proposed civil engineering projects.
- Budget and Schedule Management – Development and management of initial cost estimates and budgets to ensure work is being completed within the approved budget. Development and management of the project planning schedule through completion of the project.
- Management of the University’s One Call Program – Responsible for ensuring that all utility locate requests are processed in accordance with the NJ One Call procedures.
- Management of the University’s West Windsor Maintenance Yard – Responsible for oversight of the soil recycling yard located in West Windsor
- Civil Engineering Design – Responsible for developing design documents for civil engineering projects under the responsible charge of the University’s Civil Engineer and for obtaining necessary approvals/permits from municipalities having jurisdiction.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field.
- Five to ten (5-10) verifiable years of experience in a civil engineering or civil construction related field with progressive responsibility.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with the planning, organizing, monitoring and enforcing safe work practices and procedures with strong knowledge of OHSA regulations in construction.
- Possess strong communication and interpersonal skills and have the ability to both interact and create a positive and good working relationship with colleagues throughout all levels of the University.
- Committed to the beliefs of customer service/satisfaction, quality control, high personal standards/ethics, and inclusion.
- Possess technology skills and proficiency with personal computers and business application software.
- Project management experience and the ability to act as a “General Contractor” for multi-trade construction initiatives. Possess a working knowledge and experience with project planning and implementation. This would include knowledge of regulatory codes and all phases of a successful construction project.
- Possess organization skills and be a self-starter who demonstrates initiative and a drive for results.
- Must be able to function in an essential personnel role, which may include an extended on-campus presence during campus, local, regional or national emergencies.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Professional Registration – Ability to become a Registered Professional Engineer in New Jersey
- Safety Training - OSHA 10 or 30, Competent person certification for trenches and confined space entry training.
- Computer training - RS Means cost estimating software, Primavera, AutoCAD and Microsoft Office.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to climb ladders and have the physical dexterity to climb into tight, awkward, restricted areas and around occasionally around obstacles.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.
5 year term