This position requires thorough knowledge of civil engineering design and production of contract documents. This individual is responsible for planning and conducting independent work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application and adaptation of engineering techniques, procedures and criteria. The individual will devise new approaches to problems, and prepare or modify drawings, specifications, calculations, charts and graphs, and monitor work for compliance to applicable codes, and accepted engineering practices.
- Design construction residential and commercial site development drawings, including but not limited to site plans, grading and drainage plans, roadway alignment, plan and profiles drawings, cross sections, traffic control, earthwork calculations, water distribution, sanitary sewer collection systems, storm sewer design, intersection layouts and applicable standard details;
- Analyze survey, topography, field notes, sketches, photos and other project-specific materials to identify potential project constraints and best approach in developing and completing a given project;
- Provide drawings, sketches and instructions to drafters, and perform design calculations;
- Maintain the technical quality and consistency of work, including compliance with project design criteria and standards, project procedures, relevant corporate standards, and local codes and regulations;
- Work to devise new approaches to technical problems;
- Coordinate technical issues with other departments on multi-discipline projects, including reviews and constructability requirements;
- Coordinate assigned engineering work and interface with other organizations, contractors, consultants and clients, as well as outside permitting agencies;
- Maintain and update procedures to ensure that designs comply with current codes and regulations;
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and seminars and maintain active status with professional organizations.
Position Qualification Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil, or related Engineering field.
- 3+ years of experience or the ability to demonstrate advanced CADD (and preferably Civil 3D) methods is required.
Skills and Abilities
- Must be knowledgeable of and perform best engineering practices on projects of small to medium size and complexity, with minimal technical oversight by others;
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Project), AutoCAD, drafting techniques and engineering terminology;
- Ability to prepare clear, complete, accurate and efficient work plans, as well as sketches, diagrams, and detailed drawings necessary for construction documents;
- Commitment to excellence and high standards;
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills;
- Versatility, flexibility, and willingness to work within constantly changing priorities;
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines;
- Ability to direct and recommend cost-effective creative solutions;
- Occasional fieldwork (inspections).
- Must be able to work for any employer in the US.
- EIT or commitment to pass the FE exam;
- Licensed PE is not a requirement.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
Civil / Architectural Designer / Drafter