Position Title: CK Assistant Bakery Production Manager
Supervisory Responsibility: Responsible for supervising all Bakery and Pastry staff.
Reports To: CK Bakery Production Manager
Region: Oregon/SW Washington
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Position Description: Assists Bakery Production Manager in overall management of Bakery and Pastry department operations, including ordering, inventory control, merchandising, food safety, work safety, communication, training and supervision of staff. Promotes quality, food safety, and work safety. Provides leadership in line with company values, promotes a positive and progressive work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understands and models company culture. Influences, motivates and inspires others. Builds community within and outside of New Seasons Market.
- Delivers exceptional service and demonstrates friendly and attentive behaviors with internal and external customers.
- Embraces change and continuous improvement.
- Builds trust and respect through dependability, organization and follow through.
- Communication style is confident, informative, adaptive and effective, utilizing varied methods and active listening skills.
- Develops strong internal partnerships and contributes to a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility and creativity in problem-solving and is solutions-oriented.
- Utilizes strategic thinking, data and industry knowledge, and calculated risk-taking to create competitive advantage.
- Plans for the future by setting clear and attainable goals.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs of department.
- Demonstrates self-awareness and seeks opportunities for professional growth. Seeks and responds positively to feedback.
- Promotes opportunities for the professional growth of others.
- Communicates in a professional and constructive manner. Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
- Observes all facility rules and policies as listed in the New Seasons Market Staff Handbook, Operations Manual, and any other official NSM document or manual.
- Acts as a steward of company resources and Vision/Mission/Values by modeling and promoting sustainable behaviors/operations.
- Understands, models and instills company culture. Communicates a clear vision. Influences, motivates and inspires others. Builds community within and outside of New Seasons Market.
- Embraces and guides others through change and continuous improvement.
- Understands group dynamics in order to foster a positive and collaborative work environment. Develops strong and engaged teams and internal partnerships.
- Balances administrative tasks with presence on production floor.
Position Specific Functions
- Produces bakery and pastry items in accordance with company and regulatory agency standards.
- Assists Bakery Production Manager in oversite of all hands on large-batch from-scratch production of all bakery and pastries items, including but not limited to; artisan breads, sandwich breads, rolls, cookies, muffins, cakes, brownies and/or all other specialty goods.
- Partners with Bakery Production Manager in managing and maintaining processes and procedures that effectively control production, packaging, shrink, sanitation and equipment maintenance.
- Meets productivity and food cost goals.
- Coordinates paperwork and completes orders for daily production.
- Coordinate packing/store picking times with Bakery Support team, Fulfillment team and CK Procurement & Logistics Manager and meets required timelines.
- Works with Bakery Production Manager and CK Procurement and Logistics Manager to ensure inventory levels are appropriate for production.
- Partners with Bakery Production Manager to help facilitate scale up production in facility with R&D for bakery/pastry and other items as requested.
- Coordinates with Bakery Production Manager to maintains/develop production schedules and guides.
- Works with Bakery Production Manager to maintains/develops SOPs (standard operating procedures).
- Calculates yields and costs for all items as needed.
- Assists in maintaining of Food Track; records formula updates for production specs when requested.
- Follows all established systems to maintain consistency and integrity of product.
- Responsible for ensuring daily Bakery and Pastry production meets established quality specifications and are consistently and efficiently produced.
- Implements all bakery production standards, food safety (HAACP) systems, certified organic systems, policies and procedures; ensure consistent follow through with staff.
- Adjust priorities and tasks as necessary to achieve daily production goals.
- Acts as point of contact for stores on product quality/quantity for all Bakery and Pastry items.
- Notifies Bakery Production Manager of any situations relating to food safety, work safety, productivity, security or any other situation that may have an adverse effect on the facility.
- Coaches departments to maintain appropriate, accurate and organized inventory and back stock. Handles damaged and spoiled product according to company policy.
- Leverages resources and labor to maximize efficiency, without compromising quality and service standards.
- Maintains professional vendor relationships.
- Maintains cleanliness, organization and rotation of all areas, products and supplies.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and conditions of the Central Kitchen.
- Observes all rules and policies as listed in the New Seasons Market Staff Handbook and Operations Manual.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
Required Permits and Licenses: Completion of all required local, state and federal Food and Work Safety trainings
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Participates actively in the maintenance and enrichment of a workplace safety culture.
- Understands and enforces New Seasons Market work safety policies and guidelines set forth by OSHA and other regulatory agencies. Takes appropriate action on work safety concerns raised by staff and regulatory agencies.
- Identifies and addresses factors that contribute to the functionality of facility and department equipment. Follows through with service and maintenance needs.
- Promotes the highest level of department cleanliness. Ensures general housekeeping and janitorial tasks are scheduled and conducted on a regular basis and ensures sanitation standards established by facility policy and state and local health departments are practiced.
- Understands and enforces New Seasons Market food safety policies. Takes appropriate action on food safety concerns raised by staff and regulatory agencies.
- Demonstrates proficiency with emergency procedures, safety equipment and MSDS.
- Ensures staff members are properly trained on department equipment and safety processes.
- Frequent handwashing is required.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: Computers, general office equipment, automatic dish washing machines, power washer, electric and manual pallet jacks, ladders, carts, hand trucks, box baler, box cutter, floor scrubber, mop, broom, large-scale mixers, hand-mixers, proofers, ovens, slicers, cookie pucker, and all other automated and manual bakery and pastry equipment as needed.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 2 years of staff management experience required.
- 1 – 2 years managing within a high – volume bakery production environment highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of sanitation and food handling standards including HACCP programs, good manufacturing standards and food safety regulations.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in application of culinary production management systems.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint, with skills to learn new computer programs and systems. Experience in food tracking systems and online ordering tools a plus.
- Collaborative, strategic thinker and problem solver, with a demonstrated ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with ability to respond to urgent job responsibilities as they arise and flexible when priorities redirect.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact and diplomacy, to collaborate, negotiate and communicate effectively and professionally with cross-functional partners at all levels in the company.
- Self-motivated, with ability to work independently and in a collaborative, cross-functional team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Medium work level
- Frequently required to be on feet with a mix of sitting, standing and walking throughout shift.
- Have sufficient dexterity to operate machinery such as: automatic dishwasher system, broom, mop, floor cleaning equipment, power washer, disassemble, clean and adjust facility equipment and to clear drains as necessary.
- Frequently required to: lift and carry 1-10 pounds; use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing; reach at/above shoulder; reach below shoulder
- Frequently required to: lift and carry 11-20 pounds; bend/stoop; twist
- Occasionally required to: lift and carry 21-50 pounds; push and/or pull 1-40 pounds; crouch/squat
- Frequency of climbing stairs and ladders dependent on location
- Work occurs in a food-manufacturing environment that includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler and freezer, and depending on location, working outside in all temperatures.
- There may be exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, houseplants, and flowers.
- Work requires use of and working in proximity to common commercial cleaning agents.
- This position works on or around moving machinery or moving parts.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform and may vary slightly based on location. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.