Position Title: CK Grab and Go Assembly Manager
Supervisory Responsibility: Supervises all Grab and Go Assembly staff
Reports To: CK Sr. Production and Operations Manager
Region: Oregon/SW Washington
FLSA Classification | Exempt
Position Description: Manages Grab and Go Assembly department operations, including assembly and packaging of products, label verification, food safety, work safety, communication, training and supervision of staff. Ensures that all packaged items and their labels adhere to New Seasons Market quality and merchandising standards. Promotes quality, food safety, and work safety. Provides leadership in line with company values, promotes a positive and progressive work environment. This position will work mainly in a refrigerated environment of below 50 degrees.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as a steward of company resources and Vision/Mission/Values by training, modeling and promoting sustainable behaviors/operations.
- Promotes a collaborative team environment through recognition, leading by example and working alongside staff.
- Demonstrates approachability and fosters open communication. Creates an environment where staff are invested and encouraged to contribute ideas. Demonstrates a pro-active approach in resolving staff issues and conflicts.
- Seeks opportunities to train and develop staff members to take on increased responsibilities. Demonstrates ability to adapt approach to different learning styles among staff.
- Demonstrates a whole store perspective. May work with store leadership team in providing oversight to overall store operations, including service levels and store conditions. May act as Manager On Duty as assigned.
- Builds trust and respect through dependability, organization and follow through.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility and creativity in problem-solving and is solutions-oriented.
- Establishes and maintains effective verbal and written communication systems; includes timely sharing of all company, store and department information.
- Oversees scheduling and labor allocation to meet business needs and labor budget. Ensures adequate staffing conditions, including leadership coverage.
- Ensures department representation at all required committee meetings. Encourages and supports staff participation in other committees.
- Prepares and delivers corrective actions and performance reviews in a timely manner. Follows documentation and compensation guidelines and demonstrates an understanding of basic Human Resources concepts.
- Observes all rules and policies as listed in the company Staff Handbook and Operations Manual.
Position Specific Functions
- Oversees portioning, weighing, packaging, labeling and presentation of all Prepared Foods products.
- Manages and maintains processes and procedures that effectively control portioning, packaging, shrink, sanitation and equipment maintenance.
- Actively coaches Grab and Go team to meet productivity goals. Understands group dynamics in order to foster a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Develops strong and engaged teams and internal partnerships across the facility.
- Coordinates assembly paperwork and completes packaged orders for daily production.
- Coordinate packing/store picking times with Fulfillment team and CK Procurement & Logistics Manager and meets required timelines.
- Works with CK Kitchen Production Manager to ensure products are produced to meet fulfillment timelines.
- Facilitates scale up assembly in facility for R&D for prepared foods, bakery/pastry and other items as requested.
- Maintains/develops assembly schedules, guides and SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures).
- Maintains FoodTrak; records catch weight updates for assembly specs.
- Follows all established systems to maintain consistency and integrity of product.
- Responsible for ensuring daily Prepared Foods assembled products meet established quality specifications and are consistently and efficiently packaged and labeled.
- Implements all food merchandising standards, food safety (HAACP) systems, certified organic systems, policies and procedures; ensure consistent follow through with staff.
- Ensures all products are consistently and accurately labeled and dated in accordance with FDA, ODA, and other regulatory food safety laws and requirements.
- Ensures weights and measurements of all assembled products are accurate and consistent in accordance with label specifications and regulatory requirements.
- Acts as point of contact for stores on packaging quality/quantity for all Prepared Foods items.
- Notifies CK Operations Manager of any situations relating to food safety, work safety, productivity, security or any other situation that may have an adverse effect on the facility.
- Coaches department to maintain appropriate, accurate and organized inventory and back stock, with attention to quality assurance standards and first in/first out procedures. Handles damaged and spoiled product according to company policy.
- Leverages resources and labor to maximize efficiency, without compromising quality and service standards.
- Maintains professional vendor relationships.
- Maintains cleanliness, organization and rotation of all areas, products and supplies.
- Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and conditions of the Central Kitchen. Balances administrative tasks with presence on production floor.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Participates actively in the maintenance and enrichment of a workplace safety culture.
- Understands and enforces New Seasons Market work safety policies and guidelines set forth by OSHA and other regulatory agencies. Takes appropriate action on work safety concerns raised by staff and regulatory agencies.
- Identifies and addresses factors that contribute to the functionality of facility and department equipment. Follows through with service and maintenance needs.
- Promotes the highest level of department cleanliness. Ensures general housekeeping and janitorial tasks are scheduled and conducted on a regular basis and ensures sanitation standards established by store policy and state and local health departments are practiced.
- Understands and enforces New Seasons Market food safety policies. Takes appropriate action on food safety concerns raised by staff and regulatory agencies.
- Demonstrates proficiency with emergency procedures, safety equipment and SDS.
- Ensures staff members are properly trained on department equipment and safety processes.
- Frequent handwashing is required.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: Computers, general office equipment, automatic dish washing machines, power washer, electric and manual pallet jacks, ladders, carts, hand trucks, box baler, box cutter, floor scrubber, mop and broom.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years of leadership experience required.
- 3 – 5 years managing within a high – volume kitchen production environment highly preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, General Management, Culinary Management or related fields or equivalent experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of sanitation and food handling standards including HACCP programs, good manufacturing standards and food safety regulations.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in application of culinary production management systems.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint, with skills to learn new computer programs and systems. Experience in food tracking systems and online ordering tools a plus.
- Collaborative, strategic thinker and problem solver, with a demonstrated ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with ability to respond to urgent job responsibilities as they arise and flexible when priorities redirect.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise good judgment around sensitive information.
- Medium work level
- Frequently required to be on feet with a mix of sitting, standing and walking throughout shift.
- Have sufficient dexterity to operate machinery such as: automatic dishwasher system, broom, mop, floor cleaning equipment, power washer, disassemble, clean and adjust facility equipment and to clear drains as necessary.
- Frequently required to: lift and carry 1-10 pounds; use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing; reach at/above shoulder; reach below shoulder
- Frequently required to: lift and carry 11-20 pounds; bend/stoop; twist
- Occasionally required to: lift and carry 21-50 pounds; push and/or pull 1-40 pounds; crouch/squat
- Frequency of climbing stairs and ladders dependent on location
- Work occurs in a food-manufacturing environment that includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler and freezer, and depending on location, working outside in all temperatures.
- There may be exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, houseplants, and flowers.
- Work requires use of and working in proximity to common commercial cleaning agents.
- This position works on or around moving machinery or moving parts.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform and may vary slightly based on location. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.