Be here. Be great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group’s member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company. We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
Great American Risk Solutions writes a diverse mix of property and casualty business, both primary and excess. Risk Solutions writes mostly non-admitted business, partnering with leading wholesalers. We focus on a specialized solutions for a diverse market.
We are looking for an experienced Claim Specialist / Senior Claim Specialist. The position will focus on losses in a nationwide book of surplus lines business, including primary and excess claims under commercial general liability (CGL) and other policies. Experience with, or an interest in, New York’s Scaffold Law (Labor Law sections 200, 240, 241) is highly desirable. This position can be located in Cincinnati, Ohio, but we are also seeking candidates in the Northeastern United States who can work remotely.
- Investigates, adjusts, and documents claims.
- Reviews and evaluates coverage, liability, and damages.
- Secures and analyzes information necessary to claims investigation (e.g., contracts, reports, policies, appraisals, releases, statements, and other records).
- Works toward the resolution of claims files; attends arbitrations, mediations, inspections, hearings, depositions, and trials as necessary.
- Conveys complex information (coverage, liability, exposure, reserving, outcomes, etc.) to all appropriate parties, maintaining a professional demeanor in all situations.
- Reserves and settles claims within prescribed limits and submits recommendations to supervisor on cases exceeding personal authority.
- Ensures that claims payments are issued in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensures that claims handling is conducted in compliance with applicable laws and company procedures and policies.
- Provides technical advice to other functional areas.
- Mentors less experienced professionals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- At least 6 years’ experience handling commercial general-liability claims.
- Bodily injury claims experience and coverage analysis experience.
- Detail oriented and strong organizational skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Demonstrates strong written, verbal and effective listening skills.
- Significant experience working with Microsoft Office applications and electronic claim files.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Must be open to travel, including overnight travel as needed.