What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Job Summary:Markel Corporation, a Fortune 500 Company, is seeking an experienced Claims Examiner III in Oahu, HI. This position is a work from home opportunity in Hawaii and would be responsible for a caseload of mid to high exposure workers compensation claims. The position will have increased responsibility for decision making within their authority and work with minimal oversight.
- Confirms coverage of workers compensation claims by reviewing policies and documents submitted in support of claims
- Analyzes coverage and communicates coverage positions
- Conducts, coordinates, and directs investigation into loss facts and extent of damages
- Directs and monitors assignments to experts and outside counsel
- Evaluates information on coverage, compensability, and medical management to determine the extent of insured's exposure
- Sets reserves within authority or makes claim recommendations concerning reserve changes to manager
- Focus on driving claims to a resolution with a focus of returning the injured back to work
- Evaluate, Negotiate and settle claim when appropriate
- Prepares reports by collecting and summarizing information
- Adheres to Fair Claims Practices regulations and internal Claims Quality Performance Objectives
- Participates in special projects or assists other team members as requested
- Attend all state specific trainings as scheduled
- Travel to mediations, trials, and conferences as required
- Minimum of 5 years of claims (ideally workers compensation) handling experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Ability to deliver outstanding customer service
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office products (Excel, Outlook, Power Point, Word)
- Experience working in a paperless environment
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Strong desire for continuous improvement
- Must be willing to work remotely in Hawaii
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- Must have or be eligible to receive a Hawaii claims adjuster license
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.