CNA is one of the premier providers of professional liability insurance for all aspects of Management Liability. We are currently seeking a talented Claim Specialist to handle management liability claims.
The individual in this position will handle Directors and Officers and Employment Practices Liability claims involving executive and entity protection for large publicly-traded companies, financial institutions, and small private companies. These claims can be highly complex in nature and may involve multi-million dollar exposures. Any combination of Insurance litigation, DO claims management and/or coverage interpretation and analysis experience is strongly desired.
We seek an individual who has strong technical skills with the ability to act with a sense of urgency; has excellent verbal and written communication skills; and has attended mediations with ability to effectively negotiate settlement of claims.
The ideal candidate will be an attorney with experience working in a law firm or at an insurance carrier handling Directors and Officers and Employment Practices Liability matters.
CNA offers excellent work/life balance opportunities and a strong benefits package for individuals who are considering leaving the law firm environment. Associate attorneys will find the salary package competitive.
A formal job description follows:
Individual contributor responsible for the overall management of complex claims. Recognized as a technical expert in the interpretation of complex or unusual policy coverages in area of expertise. Under general management direction, works within assigned limits of authority on assignments of significant degree of technical complexity and coordination. May have regional, industry segment or company-wide scope of responsibility within specialty area.
Essential Duties Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
1. Interprets more complex or unusual policy coverages and determines if coverages apply to claims submitted, escalating issues as needed.
2. Sets activities, reserves and authorizes payments within scope of authority. Ensures issuance of disbursements while managing loss costs and expenses.
3. Coordinates and performs investigations and evaluates claims and suits through contact with insureds, claimants, business partners, witnesses and experts. Seeks early resolution opportunities. Identifies files that have potential fraud and refers to SIU.
4. Utilizes negotiation skills to develop complex settlement packages.
5. Identifies claims with third party recovery potential and coordinates with subrogation/salvage unit.
6. Partners with attorneys, account representatives, agents, underwriters, doctors, nurse case managers and insureds to develop a focused strategy for timely and cost effective resolution of more complex claims.
7. Analyzes claims activities. Prepares and presents reports for management. May be responsible for special projects and presentations.
8. Responsible for input of data that accurately reflects claim circumstances and other information important to our business outcomes.
9. May provide guidance and assistance to other claims staff and functional areas.
10. Keeps current on state/territory regulations and issues as well as industry activity and trends.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Manager or Director
Skills, Knowledge Abilities
1. Solid knowledge of claims and insurance industry theory and practices.
2. Demonstrated technical expertise and product specific knowledge.
3. Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
4. Ability to work independently, managing time and resources to accomplish multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
5. Strong analytical and problem solving skills enabling viable alternative solutions.
6. Ability to exercise independent judgement and make critical business decisions effectively assessing the merits of claims as well as evaluating claims based on a cost benefit analysis.
7. Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other business-related software.
8. Ability to adapt to change and value diverse opinions and ideas.
9. Ability to fully comprehend claim information; and to further articulate analyses of claims in internal reports.
10. Ability to handle claims with a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional designations preferred.
2. Typically a minimum three to five years claims experience.