Claims Specialist Sr - Professional Liability
IF YOU CARE, THERE'S A PLACE FOR YOU HERE
For a career path that is both challenging and rewarding, join Sedgwick's talented team of 21,000 colleagues around the globe. Sedgwick is a leading provider of technology-enabled risk, benefits and integrated business solutions. Taking care of people is at the heart of everything we do. Millions of people and organizations count on Sedgwick each year to take care of their needs when they face a major life event or something unexpected happens. Whether they have a workplace injury, suffer property or financial loss or damage from a natural or manmade disaster, are involved in an auto or other type of accident, or need time away from work for the birth of a child or another medical situation, we are here to provide compassionate care and expert guidance. Our clients depend on our talented colleagues to take care of their most valuable assets -- their employees, their customers and their property. At Sedgwick, caring counts®. Join our team of creative and caring people of all backgrounds, and help us make a difference in the lives of others.
This exciting opportunity would be an excellent fit for someone with 10+ years of experience specializing in E&O and a JD. In-depth knowledge of appropriate E&O; D&O; EPL insurance principles and laws for line-of-business handled, recoveries offsets and deductions, claim and disability duration, cost containment principles and Social Security application procedures as applicable to line-of-business.
PRIMARY PURPOSE: To analyze complex or technically difficult Errors & Omissions claims in various business lines, e.g: Insurance Agents, Miscellaneous, Legal, etc; ; to provide resolution of highly complex nature and/or severe injury claims; to coordinate case management within Company standards, industry best practices and specific client service requirements; and to manage the total claim costs while providing high levels of customer service.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyzes and processes complex or technically difficult medical malpractice claims by investigating and gathering information to determine the exposure on the claim; manages claims through well-developed action plans to an appropriate and timely resolution.
- Conducts or assigns full investigation and provides report of investigation pertaining to new events, claims and legal actions.
- Negotiates claim settlement up to designated authority level.
- Calculates and assigns timely and appropriate reserves to claims; monitors reserve adequacy throughout claim life.
- Recommends settlement strategies; brings structured settlement proposals as necessary to maximize settlement.
- Coordinates legal defense by assigning attorney, coordinating support for investigation, and reviewing attorney invoices; monitors counsel for compliance with client guidelines.
- Uses appropriate cost containment techniques including strategic vendor partnerships to reduce overall claim cost for our clients.
- Identifies and investigates for possible fraud, subrogation, contribution, recovery, and case management opportunities to reduce total claim cost.
- Represents Company in depositions, mediations, and trial monitoring as needed.
- Communicates claim activity and processing with the client; maintains professional client relationships.
- Ensures claim files are properly documented and claims coding is correct.
- Refers cases as appropriate to supervisor and management.
- Delegates work and mentors assigned staff.
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supports the organization's quality program(s).
Education & Licensing
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university preferred. Licenses as required. Professional certification as applicable to line of business preferred.
Six (6) years of claims management experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Skills & Knowledge
- In-depth knowledge of appropriate medical malpractice insurance principles and laws for line-of-business handled, recoveries offsets and deductions, claim and disability duration, cost containment principles including medical management practices and Social Security application procedures as applicable to line-of-business
- Excellent oral and written communication, including presentation skills
- PC literate, including Microsoft Office products
- Analytical and interpretive skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to meet or exceed Performance Competencies
When applicable and appropriate, consideration will be given to reasonable accommodations.
Mental: Clear and conceptual thinking ability; excellent judgment, troubleshooting, problem solving, analysis, and discretion; ability to handle work-related stress; ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously; and ability to meet deadlines
Physical: Computer keyboarding, travel as required
Auditory/Visual: Hearing, vision and talking
NOTE: Credit security clearance, confirmed via a background credit check, is required for this position.
Sedgwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer