Coach, mentor and onboard both experienced and inexperienced tanker truck driver candidates during the in-classroom phase of the Entry Level Driver Training Program as a Classroom Driver Instructor for Schneider’s Tanker Division. Enjoy daily home time as you work locally out of the Gary facility and prepare new drivers for a rewarding career with Schneider.
Gary Tanker Classroom Driver Instructor job overview
- Responsible for onboarding new driver associates, ensure all necessary paperwork is complete and provide them with proper safety equipment (safety footwear, vests, logbooks, trip sheets, etc.).
- Facilitate classroom training to cover all required content (HOS, workflow, trip-planning, tablet, policies/procedures, etc.) as well as adhere to meal and rest breaks.
- Present training material in a manner consistent with Schneider values, standards and specifications.
- Administer computer-based training and check for learning. Assess results and provide additional training as needed.
- Partner with Safety and Training Leadership to help resolve problems or issues that may impede the new driver associate from being successful and make recommendations on next steps.
- Responsible for facilitating a smooth transition/handoff when new driver associates have completed the classroom portion of training.
- Thoroughly complete a training evaluation for each driver attending training.
- Maintain a work area that is clean, serviceable and reflects the professional standards of the Training Academy.
- Attend and actively participate in team meetings.
- Successfully complete the annual instructor recertification process.
- Adhere to Schneider, Training Academy and local work area policies.
- Required to haul freight as needed.
- Coordinate transportation of new drivers to and from the training center (if applicable).
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and timeliness.
- Exhibit behavior in alignment with our core values at all times.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned, and the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands.
- *Based on CDL driver experience, performance and location
Gary Tanker Classroom Driver Instructor qualifications
- Valid Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and DOT physical card.
- Minimum 12 months of Class A driving experience and six months of verifiable instructor/training experience or minimum five years of recent Class A driving experience.
- Live within 60 miles of Gary, IN.
- Tanker endorsement required at time of hire.
- HazMat endorsement required after starting — Schneider’s self-paced online certification training will help you secure it.
- Meet minimum driving qualifications for Schneider’s CDL drivers and have a knowledge of and adherence to policies.
- Strong knowledge of regulatory requirements with minimal logging or Hours of Service violations.
- Ability to identify, analyze and correct unsafe or aggressive driving habits.
- Demonstrate a positive, professional attitude and the ability and willingness to accept change.
- Strong leadership qualities.
Additional Driver Instructor job benefits
- Annual profit-sharing bonuses available.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance, plus flexible spending options and company-paid life insurance.
- 401(k) savings plan with company match plus a company-paid retirement plan.
- Unlimited referral bonus potential.
- Credit for Military Experience and Military Apprenticeship programs, plus more military benefits.
- Leading equipment and technology specs designed for driver comfort.
- Many more — see full driver benefit package.
More reasons to choose Schneider in Gary
- Resilient, values-based culture that drives safety first and always, integrity in every action, respect for all and excellence in all we do.
- Individual development opportunities through company-paid training, active leadership involvement and more than 170 online personal development courses.
- Position based out of Schneider’s Gary Facility.
- Learn more about Schneider’s culture for Driver Instructors.
Want even more information?
The best option is to apply, and we can customize our advice to your situation, but if you want to dig deep:
- Experienced or inexperienced driver insights – expectations at your career stage.
- Schneider company overview – what makes Schneider one of the top trucking companies.
- Slice of Orange blog – answers to top driver career questions.
Schneider uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired associates. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Job Company Driver
Sign On Bonus