Charlie’s Produce - Who We Are
Mission Statement “Cultivating Fresh”
Charlie’s Produce is the largest privately owned produce wholesaler on the West Coast, with distribution centers in Seattle, Spokane, Portland, Anchorage, Boise and Los Angeles.
Our path to success had taught us that the best way to serve our customers is to develop long term partnerships. We use our Core Values to guide us on this path:
Integrity - we aim to build lasting relationships through accountability, respect and our commitment to exceptional results. We believe there is a clear connection between the health and profitability of a company and the general wellbeing of the community in which it does business.
Service - we empower our employees to take meaningful action. We listen and learn from our customers. We make our workplace a safe and healthy place to grow both personally and professionally. We get involved in the community with nonprofit and charitable organizations. We work with local and regional growers to deliver the freshest and best possible product, and to support a strong agricultural and economic system.
Quality - Our product and service are the highest quality possible. We achieve this through a supply chain that minimizes time from farm to table, has unparalleled standards for food safety and cold chain integrity.
Stewardship - Charlie’s Produce is committed to improving our environment, the sustainability of our growers, the well-being of our employees, and corporate stewardship. We actively engage employees to preserve, restore and enhance our internal environment as well as respect our external surroundings. Our business initiatives advance environmental and social responsibility and sustainability.
You will be primarily responsible for the movement and operation of company assets in and around our warehouse. You will use a hostler truck with a hydraulic fifth wheel to move trailers and move box trucks to facilitate loading and unloading of product.
Essential Responsibilities Include, And Are Not Limited To:
Performs daily routine safety checks, and pre-trip inspections on assigned vehicle.
Ensures all safety measures appropriate for operation of assigned vehicle are consistently and efficiently applied.
Operates vehicle in all assigned service areas in a timely and efficient manner.
Loads all assigned materials according to normal operating procedures and reports any violations to supervisor.
Ensures materials being transported comply within the legal load limits.
Reports all accidents and/or safety violations to the appropriate authority and in a timely manner.
Maintains good customer relations and positively influences the community’s perception of the Company throughout all applicable service areas.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. The basic qualifications are:
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
- One year of commercial driving experience (Two years of commercial driving experience preferred).
- Valid Class A Driver's License.
- No more than 3 moving violations in the last 3 years
- Valid Medical Examiners Card (DOT Medical card)
The qualifications listed are typical of the knowledge, skills, and abilities of successful employees within this classification.
- Principles and practices of job site safety, potential job hazards, and state and local regulations
- Visual, tactile, and odorous identification of produce and produce packaging
- Food preparation and food handling techniques
Skill and/or Ability to:
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service and actively respond to customer requests.
- Ability to perform continuous physical exertions such as repetitive lifting, stacking, and moving product as part of a rigorous daily routine.
- Ability to perform pre and post trip vehicle inspections.
- Ability to work nights, weekends and some holidays, depending on work assignment.
- Ability to work in all weather extremes including extreme hot or cold, wet or dry conditions.
- Work under pressure, handle stressful situations and maintain flexibility.
- Ability to maintain high levels of activity or productivity; operating with effectiveness, and determination over extended periods of time.
- Ability to understand safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Consistently build knowledge and expertise about current job.
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervisors and customers.
Charlie’s Produce Offers:
- The stability that comes with working for the largest privately-owned Produce distributor on the west coast
- A family oriented, supportive work environment where employees are treated as people.
Charlie’s Produce Total Compensation Package includes:
- Competitive pay structure:
- Starting hourly wage between $21 - $22.50 DOE
- 90 day performance-based raise up to $1.00.
- Yearly review with possibility of increase based on performance and tenure
- We recognize and reward hard work and commitment.Supplemental retirement plan through our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)Robust employee assistance programPaid time off and paid holidaysPre-tax commuter benefitsFree onsite parking
- Employer-covered College Program
- Coverage under Seattle Sick Leave
- 401k available
- Health and wellness benefits including medical, dental, and vision
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job; and pursuant to applicable law, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records. It is important that you provide accurate information on the job application; inaccurate information may cause delays in the processing of your application and/or may disqualify you as a candidate.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
This description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, effort, work conditions, and benefits associated with the job.