Job Title: Secretary II, High School
Job Code: 122
DOT Code: 201362030
Prepared By: Richard Dezendorf
Prepared Date: December 9, 1997
Approved By: David A. Barr
Approved Date: April 3, 2001
Working under the direction of the principal, types various documents, reports and letters, greets school visitors, receives the principal’s calls, files office correspondence, handles school insurance for students and faculty, orders and issues supplies and maintains school faculty and activity calendars.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned. These examples are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. Actual work assignment may vary from school to school depending on the number of office personnel and the directions of the school principal.
- Reads and routes incoming mail.
- Computer contact person for the school as assigned by the principal.
- Maintain the absence report for school employees.
- Administers medication to students.
- Locates and attaches appropriate file to correspondence to be answered by employer.
- Files correspondence and other records.
- Answers telephone and gives information to callers or routes call to appropriate official and places outgoing calls.
- Greets visitors, ascertains nature of business, and conducts visitors to employer or appropriate person.
- Make copies of correspondence or other printed matter.
- Prepares outgoing mail.
- Maintains the principal’s calendar, collects records or materials for the principal’s meetings or conferences and returns records to their storage facility.
- Handles the principal’s incoming correspondence, takes dictation and types the principal’s outgoing correspondence.
- Compiles and types information for various state, board and school reports.
- Prepares school accident reports.
- Distributes insurance material to students and faculty, keeps a supply of claim forms and issues them when necessary and contacts insurance company or school board when necessary.
- Prepares equipment repair requests, supply requisitions and purchase orders.
- Issues supplies from supply room.
- Prepares annual school report.
- Receives and distributes payroll checks.
- Assists with miscellaneous office duties, such as student scheduling, new personnel orientation and processing request for teacher professional and emergency days.
- Maintains school calendar.
- Ability to command the respect and liking of students.
- Ability to hold records, reports and conversations in confidence.
- Pleasant and correct telephone manner.
- Legible handwriting.
- Ability and initiative to plan, organize and carry out assignments under minimum supervision.
- Ability to maintain regular attendance.
- Neat, well groomed, and appropriately dressed appearance.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED with additional specialized or technical training. Two to four years job-related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to communicate with supervisor and other employees.
Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Ability to type a minimum of 60 correct words per minute and to operate office machines such as a typewriter, copying machine and duplicating machine.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to handle or feel objects or controls. The employee is occasionally required to walk and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Employee acknowledges that he/she is required to maintain a high standard of professional conduct. Breach of said professional conduct includes but is not limited to: neglect of duty, dishonesty, engagement in acts that are contrary to CPSB policy, unlawful activities, or any other conduct which is seriously prejudicial to the school system.
CHAIN OF SUPERVISION
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employee Name: _________________________________________ SSN: ________-____________-________
(Type or Print)