JOB OBJECTIVE: The Client Support Consultant will develop territory, account, and opportunity plans to meet objectives and ensure customer satisfaction through the use of advanced sales ability and techniques. Use team work and leadership skills to drive higher level relationships with long-term revenue growth and customer satisfaction. Optimally position Promega products within the customer site based on interactions with procurement and e-procurement groups. Close large dollar value deals including custom and bulk sales opportunities. Establish and maintain contracts with the customer sites in the territory. Maintain strong relationships at high levels within Promega R&D and Marketing in order to create value for customers.
This is a field position. Ideal candidates will be located within the Boston area.
1. Use Sales Analysis and designated CRM to generate reports, manipulate data and effectively analyze results. Maintain appropriate notes in the designated CRM.
2. Identify and maintain strategic accounts and clients to maximize effectiveness. Consistently request, receives and leverage customer referrals.
3. Develop and maintain an active sales funnel of opportunities across the Promega product portfolio.
4. Provide technical support by thorough knowledge of Promega’s product line and effective communication of applications related to the products.
5. Effectively link unique Promega solutions to meet and exceed requirements of the customer’s business. Apply custom solutions and knowledge about unique (Custom/OEM/ CAS/early access products) solutions Promega can offer customers. Maintain high quality relationship with internal R&D, marketing and operations personnel.
6. Develop account plans and territory plans and enact them accordingly, taking into consideration the customer situation (funding, technology, etc.). Display consistent excellent rapport with all buying influences (including the Economic buyer), consciously matching selling style to customer's buying style and role.
7. Build positive relationships at multiple levels within an account; be viewed as approachable and interested by customers; utilize social skills to build a bond with customers.
8. Establish strong pricing rationale and strategy. Effectively leverage understanding of customer business, competitive environment, and value proposition to set price. Personally develop a negotiation strategy involving other Promega resources as necessary for contracts, supply, and license agreements. Employ pricing strategies to develop pricing for custom and bulk opportunities. Work effectively with CAS and legal teams as necessary to enact supply agreements, Master Service Agreements, CDA, MTA’s. Promote new products in development and identify early adopters and alpha and beta testers.
9. Proactively pursue industry, competitor, and customer knowledge by reviewing industry literature, web sites, web news services, conferences and networking. Anticipate and communicate industry trends back to Promega. Coordinate with management and SBU’s to develop strategies in response to the competition.
10. Translate sales opportunities into workable and detailed action plans; demonstrate an understanding of the steps that go into a sales cycle; develop clear milestones and metrics for assessing progress to goal. Lays out a clear sales plan which includes specific action steps and milestones for managing the sales cycle from beginning to end. Provide completed Blue and Green sheets along with a sales call plan before meetings.
11. Drive awareness and success of the Helix program through Helix stocking and sample follow up. Host Helix re-launch parties, develop stock customization, and work with the SBU to appropriately market the unit within the account.
12. Provide instrument demonstrations with the goal of moving opportunities forward. Work with SBU resource, Corporate Sales/Global Clinical Collaborations Management teams on an as needed basis. Work with customers and internal teams on further application development beyond standard application of Promega products. Coordinate with management and SBU’s to develop strategies in response to the new sample type results.
13. Discuss relevant market investment activities and business unit initiatives for strategic territory development with the regional manager on a regular basis and enact plans to achieve goals as defined in conjunction with the regional manager.
14. Flexible in handling change, meeting a standard of excellence, persistent in pursuing goals despite obstacles and setbacks. Self-awareness of how behaviors can affect our colleagues. Keeping disruptive emotions and impulses in check, sensing other’s feelings and perspectives to advocate and voice opinions and viewpoints appropriately within and outside Promega. Asking questions and respecting opinions, to help gain perspective on how to navigate and get things done within the organization and sensing other development needs and bolstering their abilities. Having an impact on others working toward a shared goal. Seek feedback on your decisions and decidedly make changes where appropriate.
15. Effectively use overlay teams (FSS/SCMT/COS) to advance complex opportunities for the benefit for the customer.
16. Demonstrate team skills by working cooperatively and collaboratively with others; support and assists others on the team who need help.
17. Independently employ pricing, strategic and tactical account plans for key accounts in territory. This would include close involvement and strong relationships with high level procurement personnel developing and maintaining account plans and contracts.
18. Maintain a leadership role in managing multisite accounts throughout North America.
19. Participate in the development of both regional and national sales strategies. Coordinate Promega R&D scientist time with Key Opinion Leaders in the field to ensure product development is in line with industry trends.
20. Maintain a working knowledge/ understanding of regulatory, industry and licensing issues governing our markets.
21. Understands and complies with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Take an active lead in developing and presenting content at the regional and national sales meeting.
2. Actively participate in internal and external corporate teams including and not limited to Marketing, Sales, R&D, Corporate Sales.
3. Co-travel with other representatives when necessary to coach and share best practices.
4. Represent Promega at conferences, shows, workshops and seminars locally, regionally or nationally, as necessary. Organize and plan lectures, vendor shows, workshops and seminars in specific territory. Personally present customer seminars, regional conferences presentations and regional sales meetings.
1. BS or BA (MS, or Ph.D. preferred) degree in a life sciences related discipline.
2. Technical competency to understand and to clearly discuss fundamental theory and principles of experimental design, techniques and results; to stay current in technical knowledge; to troubleshoot and to provide information back to the customer in a helpful, courteous, positive and professional manner.
3. 3-5 years lab experience with proven knowledge and understanding of molecular biology, cell biology and related fields.
4. Minimum 5-7 years previous experience working with customers in sales/outside sales experience
5. Demonstrated ability to drive sales to achieve full FY territory revenue target.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), e-mail and the use of the Internet.
7. Demonstrated clear and effective written, verbal and presentation skills.
8. Highly driven, independent worker with a strong motivation to succeed.
9. Has an approachable manner that encourages interaction with others.
10. Maximizes efforts to focus on priorities; systems in place for efficiently managing administrative details.
11. Ability to work independently, self-motivate and thrive in a competitive environment.
12. Excellent organizational skills.
13. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
1. Perform other duties as required.
2. PhD in a life science relate discipline.
3. Demonstrated Leadership skills including experience mentoring others in a sales role.
4. Technical knowledge in three or more scientific and/or market segments in which Promega current serves or in emerging technology arenas.
5. Prior experience in imparting knowledge and gaining sales through webcasting, e-newsletters, buyer-focused prospecting, Miller-Heiman and SPIN sales processes and other inside sales tactics/processes.
1. Ability to move up to 60 lbs.
2. Ability to drive a vehicle.
3. Ability to use computer and telephone equipment.
4. Ability to travel up to 70% of time, dependent on territory.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.